in-game movies, AVI or MPEG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in-game movies, AVI or MPEG?

are the in-game movies of cIV avi or mpeg format?
    I ask because since I've installed my new video card (GeForce 6600) my computer totally freezes if I try to play an mpeg movie. Avi plays fine.

I've re-installed my computer again, but no luck. Still freezes.
    I've ordered windows XP (only $18 as I'm a student ) and I hope this problem will be gone when I've installed that.

But right now I'm afraid I won't be able to play cIV because the in-game movies aren't in avi......

Beta-testers: please help!
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

did you download all the latest nvidea drivers? Most of the times that is the solution of such problems...

Comment

I've done that.

Comment

Weird problem... But anyhow, I haven't seen any info on the format of the movies...
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to tell you the format, sorry.

Either way, try messing around with your nVidia drivers. Download the newest ones, if they fail, take a version a little bit earlier. That usually does the trick for me when I encounter video and graphical issues.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

My guess would be Bink videos, but I really don't have much of a reason for that guess

If regular NVidia drivers don't work, try looking around at
            Guru3D.com - Your go-to source for tech news, reviews, and in-depth analysis of graphics cards, processors, motherboards, gaming hardware, and software from companies like AMD (Radeon) Intel (Core) and NVIDIA (GeForce). Stay updated with the latest trends and innovations in the world of technology .

Comment

As long as they aren't Quicktime its fine with me.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

BINK
                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Bink? That should be okay.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Re: in-game movies, AVI or MPEG?

Originally posted by CyberShy
                    are the in-game movies of cIV avi or mpeg format?
                    I ask because since I've installed my new video card (GeForce 6600) my computer totally freezes if I try to play an mpeg movie. Avi plays fine.

I've re-installed my computer again, but no luck. Still freezes.
                    I've ordered windows XP (only $18 as I'm a student ) and I hope this problem will be gone when I've installed that.

But right now I'm afraid I won't be able to play cIV because the in-game movies aren't in avi......

Beta-testers: please help!
                    have you downloaded the latest video codecs?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I've installed some codecs. But codecs can't be the reason a computer freezes because of an mpeg file (wmv / mov don't work either)

I'll contact my retailer tomorrow.
                      Everything I tried, including the things suggested above, didn't work

Comment

Yay I was right about Bink

Cybershy....Try uninstalling all of the codecs you've installed. They can sometimes cause strange things to happen.

If that doesn't help, what version of Windows Media Player are you using?

Comment

Maybe it's the card itself that is defective. Or maybe mpegs activate a function on the card that requires more power. What's your power supply's wattage? And what does it say for the +3.5v +8v and +12v rails? The details should be on the power supply.
                          Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

Comment

Cyber: Have you tried VLC player? It can play video's even without the right codec.
                            Havn't come across any file that it couldn't play as off yet.

Also very good for playing incomplete files
                            For the lazy:
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Installing Windows XP did the trick, it's all working now 8)

Thanks for your help!!

Comment

Working...
                              X