Ign Reviews Civilization Iv - 9.4/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
    My only issue with this whole knight vs. gunship thing is that there is clearly an 'altitude' difference between the two units, which a sword/lance simply can't overcome. Personally, I wouldn't be suprised if this whole thing is just a minor little 'bug' which has crept in as a result of the gunship's 'intermediary' status-between being an air and a ground unit. I reckon we won't have to wait long to see this patched-until then, I would suggest that you give the gunship a +50% combat bonus against mounted units !

Yours,
    Aussie_Lurker.
    Maybe the helicopters were on the ground and the crew were in their missen huts playing civ4. They were so immersed in the game they did not see or hear the knights galloping towards them.
    "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

exactly. the whole game is all about abstraction to a certain degree. does every city have one library only? one granary? one university?

that heli went on a killing spree in that video, slaughtered several obsolete units with ease. that was about enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

annihilate MILLIONS

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

NEVER!

IMPOSSIBLE

ABSOLUTELY 100% IMPOSSIBLE

THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!!
        Sava, tell us what you really think, dont be shy!

If knights (spearman) beat helicopters (tanks) 1/100 I'm OK with that. If it occurs any more frequently than that, then I'm not.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG

btw
          [q=IGN reviewer]Let's get it out of the way right at the start: the only reason to stop playing Civilization IV is to tell other people just how good the game is.[/q] ok the guy is copying me
          [q=teh MarkG]Well over a month after my self-made deadline I've got to admit that I find playing Civ4 more fun than writing about it. But JUST FOR YOU I dropped Civ4 to write this! [/q]
          I thought it might be you (references to games with Dan and Greeks) although the writer seemed a little too 'perky'.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

it should be IMPOSSIBLE... for a tank to lose to a phalanx.

ABSOLUTELY 100% IMPOSSIBLE

and a helicopter should not lose to a knight...

20 combat for helicopter and 10 for a knight?

THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!!

I will be changing that right away.

That is absolutely horrible balancing.
            And how will you do that? Will you add code that says:

if ((attacker == gunship) && (defender == knight))
            knight.pwned();

That's a terrible idea.

Or change the base strength values so that the gunship becomes the most powerful unit in the game, or the knight is completely useless?

If it was that easy, Firaxis would have done it.

Comment

Knight = 10. Helicopter = 20. Given how the Civ4 combat system works, it means a HUUUUUGE advantage to the Copter.

I just ran a simulated test using my program, 20 strength vs. 10 strength, 10 thousand battles. The helicopter wins all ten thousand.

Even with 12 vs. 10, the 12-strength unit will win in over 70% of situations. In Civ4, a difference in strength of 10% is pretty significant. If one unit has double the strength, you can count on it winning virtually always.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Frankly, we shouldn't worry so much about the knight versus gunship issue. We don't know yet how long the knight's lances are. We have to read in the civilopedia about that.
                And lance lenght might be a unit promotion you can upgrade to poke them into the chopper's rotors.

Comment

Don't be grouchy Freddz, you know you're doing the right thing.
                  He who knows others is wise.
                  He who knows himself is enlightened.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                    Don't be grouchy Freddz, you know you're doing the right thing.
                    You mean sit patiently in my room and wait for the pre-order with a lance in my hand?

In truth, I really think they will fix this one in a patch unless it is a very rare incident in actual play.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddz
                      You mean sit patiently in my room and wait for the pre-order with a lance in my hand?

Hadn't thought of that.

Are you thinking of this?
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

That picture is AWESOME! LOL!
                        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

You know, I allways figured the one Phalanx taking out my tank had gotten a Panzerfaust from some blackmarket armsdealer...

If I recall correctly, the afghan mujaheddin of the Soviet era were little more than Civ3 Cavalry, occasionally armed with stingers and RPG-7's.

And, currently, there are many cavalry units in the US military. I doubt many of them actually have horses... Thus, if some unit started it's career as a Knight in the middle ages, and survived trough wars and plaques, it might not actually be a man in a steel suit anymore. (Do Civ3 Knight units represent one guy, or... an Order?)

I would love for the general weapons tech level to influence the combat ability of even obsolete units, to some degree. Lets say, you acquire a tech for man-portable SAM. Every ground unit you have gets a slight boost to it's AA-ability, no matter it's type or age. If you simply don't have the money to upgrade your units, cheap tech like that might give you the needed edge to stand the tide of a powerfull opponent.

Maybe that would be modable...
                          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

You guys sure that what's done in that picture could be realistically done by the knights...? It looks a bit awkward to climb up like that in full armor.
                            Yin, I envy you, now you could use that image as pretense instead of the malfunction scenario when it happens three times in a row.
                            Last edited by Freddz; October 22, 2005, 10:37.

Comment

Oh man, I'm still laughing at that image. I will never take civ seriously anymore...

Comment

According to these screenshots, it may well be that the number of U.N. votes is proportional to population size. Also, you need obviously about 62% of the votes for a diplomatic victory, and 51% to pass a resolution. (The latter is rather stupid IMO: 332 of 651 votes needed - one should think that 326 votes, i.e. more than 50%, should suffice. )
                                "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Working...
                                X