Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are there different cultural buildings or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are there different cultural buildings or not?

Um, so are there different style buildings for different cultural groups or not? I'm beginning to think not, since I have not seen a single screenshot with non-euro style buildings ...

I really hope they didn't go backwards on this..

I know some people might think it's superficial, but I actually liked how you started near other people with the same culture, and then the feeling you would get when you went to a new continent, and would see totally different building styles.

This can and probably will be easily added in via mod
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Re: are there different cultural buildings or not?

Originally posted by minger
      Um, so are there different style buildings for different cultural groups or not? I'm beginning to think not, since I have not seen a single screenshot with non-euro style buildings ...
      The specific religious buildings?
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

So, minger, what does your name mean in US English? Because in UK English it means very ugly person, the noun from the verb 'to ming', i.e. she mings for Britain, in the case of a very unfortunate girl. She is a minger etc.

Comment

Re: are there different cultural buildings or not?

Originally posted by minger
          ...I actually liked how you started near other people with the same culture, and then the feeling you would get when you went to a new continent, and would see totally different building styles.
          That didn't really happen (unless you were playing a world map with culturally-linked starting locations... and even then...)
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I don't mean the different religious buildings (though I am glad that they did that -- i.e. no "bhuddist cathedrals"!) -- I mean, just the regular buildings in the cities and the buildings in the countryside. So far, they all look the same.

Granted, part of me would be glad if they all had the same buildings, b/c it IS awkward to have "Indian" cities having Chinese-style buildings (i.e. civ2, civ3), and other awkward matchings. (IMO, Rise of Nations did the BEST job of culture-style differentiation in buildings), b/c we all know that they would be too lazy to make a distinct set for India (though they could use the same set for India and Persia, but who am I kidding, they are too lazy)

I even wonder if they would let people mod different buildings for different nations.. .

In response to the other post, haha, yeah I have had several British folks tell me what "minger" means, but i've used this handle for so long that I'm too lazy to change it. My friend and I used to think about making a comic strip for our college, called "Ming in the Middle", so I just took "Ming" and added an -er, b/c I didn't want just "Ming"

Comment

Was answered some time ago at CFC if I'm not mistaken and the answer was 'no'.
              That's the price for the WYSIWYG map (that was the explanation, something like that anyway).
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Was answered some time ago at CFC if I'm not mistaken and the answer was 'no'.
                That's the price for the WYSIWYG map (that was the explanation, something like that anyway).
                Ohhhhhhhh *sigh*, well thank you for confirming.

I can see how they wouldn't want to confuse people by having all manners of building on the map.

Do you know if differing buildings would be moddable?

Comment

Nothing to do with confusing AFAIK but with the sheer amount of work (art) it would take.
                  In CIv3 you only had a couple of different looks for any size city, in Civ4 the combinations are a factor of this.

No idea if it will be moddable, sorry.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

You can do it through mods (I think), although it would be some job.

Hey, at least the different religious buildings look different!
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                    X