Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG civilopedia seems to be good

Just saw this, a recent screenshot:

Earlier I feared that they would have removed long descriptions in civilopedia in Civ IV - to dumb it down or "make it more easy"; but it seemes as if the educational descriptions in civilopedia are stillt there! Excelent!

Well as they make a big point on their website - about Civilization being used in schools in history and other lessons. I wouldn't have expected anything else.

Previous betatest shots would not have shown the historic data as it would probably be one of the last things to be added.

Last edited by Harrier UK; October 21, 2005, 07:43.
    "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

I dont know if its so good to use civ in school (even if I would love it).

The really good thing with educational civilopedia is that new young players (10-15 year olds) will learn something from it. I know I did from Civ I&II Its a good idea to have real information in a game that is addictive. Plus, of course, it adds a level of realistic-feeling to the game.

Comment

We've several articles on Poly which said many schools are doing just that.
        None of that in my days though.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I remember looking up all the wonders in Grade 5 in the enclyopedia from Civ1.

In light of that, I would put Civ4 in schools: Think of the lan capabilities!

Comment

Originally posted by Verenti
            I remember looking up all the wonders in Grade 5 in the enclyopedia from Civ1.

In light of that, I would put Civ4 in schools: Think of the lan capabilities!
            "Ok then children, today we are going to learn about the Mongols and their attack on China. You'll have one chinese city each and i'll be the mongols, now let's start!"

I can see myself doing that job. "
            It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by alva

We've several articles on Poly which said many schools are doing just that.
              None of that in my days though.
              In my day we had Apple IIs in our elementary school's computer lab. We played Oregon Trail and other MECC products, as well as using Paint Shop Pro to create fun signs and banners.

Those were the days!

Comment

Originally posted by Disk Killer

In my day we had Apple IIs in our elementary school's computer lab. We played Oregon Trail and other MECC products, as well as using Paint Shop Pro to create fun signs and banners.

Those were the days!
                Oregon Trail

Oh yes.... Carmen Sandiego.... my first crush....

Comment

Originally posted by Disk Killer

Those were the days!

They hadn't invented many games for the Abacus when I was at school.
                  "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

Good that they have descriptions, many players(especially younger ones) simply don't know what things like mercantilism or liberalism exactly are. So it is good that the game explains this, it also adds to the feel of the game.

Comment

Working...
                    X