System Requirement Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Requirement Questions

I was wondering if you could tell me if my girlfriends laptop would play Civ IV. She has a 2.8 Pentium Celeron with 768 mb of RAM, plenty of hardrive space, and a Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics card (not sure of the memory). Thanks for any help.
    Visit my site! Here!

Main part of the site isn't up, but the forums are nearly done. Here

If you play Civ on your girlfriends laptop it's likely your girldfriend won't play much with you.

Civ is best kept in the closet; tell her you're meditating in the other room with your PC and keep the volume set on "low."

Comment

Silly settlers... check the CivIV release info forums... it has 'official' specs, or at least as good we know.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

SilvrbergHeir - A point to keep in mind with the Graphics Card is that it has T&L campatibility. If it does, then you are golden. If it does not - your graphics will look...well, "bad" would be putting it mildly and you'll get a lot of errors when loading the game and when you play it ... just a word-up.

Comment

Yes, I saw the specs, but I don't know how they compare to those specs of her computer. And I'm not playing it on her computer, she just wants to be able to play with me, and as far as I know, the HOTSEAT mode will not be included in this game. So I want to play with her online and need to know if her computer will be able to play the game with her specs.

EDIT:
          How can I find out if its T&L compatable?
          Visit my site! Here!

Comment

Well, I have a Radeon 9600 Graphics Card which is T&L compatible. I'm thinking that a Radeon 9000 should be, but quite frankly, I don't know. My best advice is for you to visit the Radeon site and see if her Radeon 9000 card is T&L compatible.

Comment

Doing that right now...thanks!
              Visit my site! Here!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverbergHeir

EDIT:
                How can I find out if its T&L compatable?
                By doing a "google" search for "Radeon" and go to their site and look up the stats for the Radeon 9000 graphics card.
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

No problem SilverbrgHeir. Always happy to help out a fellow civer.
                  "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                  "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

T&L has been standard for several years. Unless you have integrated video, I find it hard to believe you'll have trouble.

Radeons have supported T&L since the 7200:

Comment

Thanks for the inside info Sabre2th. I know that Silverberg will be glad to hear that!

And I learned a bit more about my graphics card as well.

Comment

Lol, well I just figured out that her Mobility Radeon 9000 is actually a IGP series (I think), which would make her card probably not T&L supported. That sucks, if thats the case.
                        Visit my site! Here!

Comment

You are probably right Silverberg. My old card was IGP and not compatible with Pirates! when I beta tested it, so I went out on a search for a T&L card and finally settled on the Radeon 9600 card. By the way, the 9600 is a rather cool graphics card with the options available to it...I was impressed.

Comment

So, what does winXP have that Win2K doesn't?
                            winXP is recommanded while win2K is alright for minimum requierments.
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

You make a valid point CyberShy. I for one absolutely loved my Win2K operating system (though that didn't stop me from upgrading)....maybe it has to do with stability issues that are adressed in the SP2 WinXP upgrade?....

Comment

Working...
                              X