Something Absent from the Beta Tester previews:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something Absent from the Beta Tester previews:

That is simply: comments on the AI's ability to play at various levels of the game. How does the AI really go about a game- is it any good?

Solver may prove me wrong as his whole article isn't posted yet, but...

It IS sorta missing.

please dont shout, i have a headache

there are 9 levels, i'm happy to be managing a game on the 4th now, 3 months after playing for the first time
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Markos is a bad player .

Next thing, my preview has three parts - parts 2 and 3 have to have something that is still missing, right ?
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I've dealt with part of the AI, on diplomacy
        Civ4 improves things with the Artificial Intelligence (AI) being more active, suggesting treaties, declaring war when it sees you're weak, asking for tech trading, asking for help against enemies, etc. etc.

the AI does some nice things in combat as well
        in the game I'm playing now, I was attacking Alexander and he would (on level 4)
        1) have catapults into his city attacking my stacks outside it
        2) bring in more units to the city to enforce it's defence
        3) after loosing the city, attacking with some remaining units the taken city rather than my advancing troops

also, in regards to being in defence, the AI knows when a city of his is being heavily attacked and may ask for a peace treaty to save the city.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
          ...in the game I'm playing now...

also, in regards to being in defence, the AI knows when a city of his is being heavily attacked and may ask for a peace treaty to save the city.
          Nice, one can attempt to force the AI in a peace treaty then by showing up in abundance around his cities.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
            Nice, one can attempt to force the AI in a peace treaty then by showing up in abundance around his cities.
            Ditto

This going to be an interesting game. Its sounds like the AI may very well be "intelligent" for a change
            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

As others have said, this is interesting.

This adds a new (and needed) avenue of escape for underpowered civs.

Are you saying that if I have no chance for total victory against an ai civ, that I can divert all forces to concentrate on one city in the hopes that the AI will "tap out" so to speak?
              While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by vee4473
                Are you saying that if I have no chance for total victory against an ai civ, that I can divert all forces to concentrate on one city in the hopes that the AI will "tap out" so to speak?
                not sure if it would work. if your forces are even it might...

Comment

i understand what you are saying. interesting.
                  While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

I recall being able to do that in Civ3 too. That is, move units around cities and 'threaten' them by just sitting there.

Worked quite well to pressure the enemy.

Now i don't know if the AI was simply calculating total # of enemy units in his territory, or actually taking into consideration how close they were to a city.

Comment

I've dealt with part of the AI, on diplomacy
                      Civ4 improves things with the Artificial Intelligence (AI) being more active, suggesting treaties, declaring war when it sees you're weak, asking for tech trading, asking for help against enemies, etc. etc.

the AI does some nice things in combat as well
                      in the game I'm playing now, I was attacking Alexander and he would (on level 4)
                      1) have catapults into his city attacking my stacks outside it
                      2) bring in more units to the city to enforce it's defence
                      3) after loosing the city, attacking with some remaining units the taken city rather than my advancing troops

Does the AI now know how to do a naval landing?

By this I mean does it land more than one or two units - even though the capacity of the ship was greater.

Also does it now use those units instead of just leaving them fortified until you remember to get rid of them.
                      "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

yes the ai is doing naval invasions
                        i havent been in a game where he could do a modern ships invasion (to see the capacity thing) but he certainly invades

Comment

Working...
                        X