No announcement yet.

Civ4 copy protection: Starforce or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ4 copy protection: Starforce or not?

There was some discussion about this a long time ago as I remember. Firaxis had been considering using this copy protection software that installs "security drivers" without your permission that aren't compatible with all OSs and have cause major problems for some people.

Did they go ahead and use starforce? This is a major consideration in if I buy Civ4 or not.

I sure they don't... as much as I would love to buy Civ IV, I don't want to support companies who uses Starforce
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

no info on that. what did Pirates have?
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Securom I think.

Comment

Pirates definetly did NOT use Starforce.
          Jim Cobb

Comment

The only reason in the world that would make me NOT buy Civilization 4 on release day would be if it uses Starforce for "protection".

I doubt it will, but still... it sort of worries me a bit.
            This thread may contain traces of nuts.

Comment

Re: Civ4 copy protection: Starforce or not?

Originally posted by Senethro
              There was some discussion about this a long time ago as I remember. Firaxis had been considering using this copy protection software that installs "security drivers" without your permission that aren't compatible with all OSs and have cause major problems for some people.

Did they go ahead and use starforce? This is a major consideration in if I buy Civ4 or not.
              im defintly aquirering a version with this removed if so

companies that use invasive programs deserve to die
              if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                I sure they don't... as much as I would love to buy Civ IV, I don't want to support companies who uses Starforce.
                Ditto. I've had to pass up on quite a few good games (Silent Hunter III for example) because I don't want crud on my machine.
                Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                  I sure they don't...
                  what makes you sure? Or are you just expressing your opinion?

Comment

Ehmmm... that should say:

[q=Adagio]I sure hope they don't[/q]

Comment

I would have preferred proof supporting the claim

Comment

Me too

Comment

't wasn't a claim, but expressing a "hope".
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I will not buy the game if they use unreasonable copy protection. Copy protection does not make life harder for pirates, but for everyone else.

There will probably be a warez release of the game (sooner or later) no matter which protection they choose.

But I bet copy protection is more up to the publisher than firaxis? So I would feel bad to punish firaxis because of a stuid move by the publisher. Would it be possible to donate 40-50 USD to firaxis instead of buying the game?

Also, if the game has a "must-have-cd-in-drive" protection, I will download a crack for my legal copy, to make life easier.

Comment

Copy protection does not make life harder for pirates, but for everyone else.
                              QFT

this whole thread is getting a little out there with so many people pledging illegality
                              if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Working...
                              X