Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new preview on GameSpy

New preview with new screenshots at GameSpy

There's some interesting descriptions of some of the units and their effect on gameplay

i like how the "iffy" part of the game was that it could take a long time to play on larger maps...hell who really wants to burn through a game in an hour or two?

Edit:

well it looks like one of my ideas from the blitz mod for civ3 made it's way into civ4...behold the obelisk!

Last edited by korn469; October 11, 2005, 23:19.

Comment

I love that when a city is polluted, there's a veil of smog around it. That's awesome detail.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

good preview
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Korn, when I saw the obelisk in the other screenshots, you and your Blitz mod were the two first things I thought of. Now, who says they don't pay attention to the civ community?
          What I love about this preview is that I have been looking out for it ever since Sunday night-almost on a 2-hourly basis. Then, in the one moment I am not looking BANG-they publish the preview!!!
          Anyway, judging from all the info I have seen in the previews, there only remain two issues of doubt for me, and that is the borders (only closed and open) and what seem to be unbalanced modern civic choices. That said, however, I REALLY need to see how they work-in game-before I know if they are good or bad, and whether they need to be changed (and, if they do, I will try and change them!)
          My point is, this game looks like it deserves around a 90-95 out of 100 from me (though that may change once I play it !)

Yours,
          Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

pollution at size 11?
            maybe a little early time wise as well

I like the concept
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

The preview is far less moronic than I expected. However:

[..] further testing shows that you can easily have a single game stretch on for hours. We played a game on a small ocean map with five civilizations, two of which were controlled by humans, and after about three and a half hours we'd gotten to Napoleonic-era technology. It looked like another two hours or more to finish the game off.

Wow, a game can stretch on for hours! Surprise! A game taking five and a half hours to finish - surprise again!

Honestly, if there's one thing about Civ that none of the reviewers seem to get, it's that Civ games are supposed to be long. There's a good reason why Civ is different from all the numerous RTS games which you can play a full game of in an hour.

I am, personally, looking forward to 20 hour games!
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

It seems like unique units shall be more powerfull in civ4, I like this this shall give each civ it's military peak moment and add to replayability.

Comment

Originally posted by kolpo
                  It seems like unique units shall be more powerfull in civ4, I like this this shall give each civ it's military peak moment and add to replayability.
                  I dunno, the last thing I use reviews like this for is to judge like balance and stuff like that, including this. I still have a print-out of a CtP2 review on my wall that is full of praise on the balance and the particularly strong AI in that game, according to the reviewer Every time I need a reminder of what a preview by a generic gaming magazine or website is worth, I only need to look at that

It's nice to hear about the polished UI, the graphics, the varied maptypes and the detailed unit stats. But when it comes to judging how everything balances out I'll wait for a (p)review of someone who actually knows what he's talking about. Comments on this topic in a GameSpy preview aren't worth the cost to display them on my screen (which is what, €0.000002? )
                  Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

But it can be worth the laugh to read stupid (p)reviews
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

The GameSpot scores of civ games are interesting.

Civ2: 9.2
                      Civ2 MGE: 7.3
                      CtP: 6.7
                      Civ2 ToT: 4.2
                      CtP2: 7.2
                      Civ3: 9.2
                      Civ3 PTW: 5.0
                      Civ3 Conquests: 8.5
                      SMAC: 9.1
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

What does an Obelisk do besides giving one culture?
                        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

What? Is giving culture not enough for you?
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                            What does an Obelisk do besides giving one culture?
                            He follows and guards he's bestests mate Asterix on his many adventures...
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                              He follows and guards he's bestests mate Asterix on his many adventures...
                              with his little dog Dogmatisk?
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X