Unit trade/purchase or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit trade/purchase or no?

I remember a while back that trading units and buying units and weapons from other civs (and selling of course) was going to be included in Civ4... however as looking over the Diplomacy and Foreign Affairs stuff, it seems to have gone unmentioned...?

Does this mean that unit trading will not be in Civ4? or am I missing something?

Thanks!
    Siga El Conejo Blanco
    Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
    | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

It would be a pretty nice feature. Being the capitalistic arms dealer in a brutal war, building a mountain of gold on the rotting corpses of fallen soldiers and civilians. Ahahahaha, ok i'm going to bed now.
    It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

It may well be if you consider two things which have been said so far:

1) It was indicated on a few occasions over the last 4 months that unit trades would be available for Multiplayer games-I have not seen this claim rescinded at any point.

2) According to the Shacknews article (11 things...), all MP features will be available in SP as well.

When taken together, this seems to suggest unit trades in the game-though I have yet to see a diplomacy screen to back it up. It is possible, though, that such trades are only possible in Alliance or Defensive Pact situations. Guess we will all find out in 2 weeks time!!!

Yours,
      Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Originally posted by Footie Mad
        It would be a pretty nice feature. Being the capitalistic arms dealer in a brutal war, building a mountain of gold on the rotting corpses of fallen soldiers and civilians. Ahahahaha, ok i'm going to bed now.
        imagine the americans selling units (weapons) to the arabs while the russians support persia... how unrealistic...

not...
        - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
        - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

It would be an interesting addition- it's always good to come across a little unfamiliar history, such as the Celtic mercenaries employed by the Ptolemies, who left graffiti on Egyptian monuments and started a revolt, or like the scene from the film 'Fall Of The Roman Empire' when Marcus Aurelius reviews all the varied troops and allies of the Roman Empire.

Imagine 'buying' a few Indian fast workers prior to a wonder building effort, or some expert cavalry, or marines...
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I'm against it, at least in SP. It has always been source of exploits, be it Civ2, where you could drive thriving AI civs into ruin by gifting them units they'd have to upkeep, or Civ3, where you could severely hamper the growth of AI civs in the early game by buying their workers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
              I'm against it, at least in SP. It has always been source of exploits, be it Civ2, where you could drive thriving AI civs into ruin by gifting them units they'd have to upkeep, or Civ3, where you could severely hamper the growth of AI civs in the early game by buying their workers.

Well, if you are against it, then don't use it. But don't take the fun away from me.

Btw, who's to say the AI can't deal with it? I've seen the AI multiple times disband units.

Comment

Originally posted by MattPilot
                Well, if you are against it, then don't use it. But don't take the fun away from me.
                Excuse me for expressing my opinion in a thread that is asking for it.

Comment

I think it is a fun option, but only for games without the AI. The possible exploits make the idea look like a for SP games.
                  Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
                    I think it is a fun option, but only for games without the AI. The possible exploits make the idea look like a for SP games.
                    just wait until the AI gangs up on you and suddenly sends over dozens over super-promoted modern armour to your border where you thought a very weak oponent was vegetating away
                    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrewolf
                      just wait until the AI gangs up on you and suddenly sends over dozens over super-promoted modern armour to your border where you thought a very weak oponent was vegetating away
                      *yawn*

Those would be my tanks, bought a long time ago from the dumb AI...

Comment

'Would' indeed, since there was a profound lack of funding to obtain them in the first place.
                        He who knows others is wise.
                        He who knows himself is enlightened.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                          'Would' indeed, since there was a profound lack of funding to obtain them in the first place.
                          You speak as if you had never witnessed the kind of cashflow one can have in Civ3 around the time of Tanks. Seriously, it would be all too easy to buy most of those advanced units from the AI.

Comment

A "simple" formula and checks & balances system could prevent such exploits.

For example, if Number of units is less than number of units allowed (being termed "Free units", no upkeep), the AI would buy units as long as they are more advanced then the one it has. YOu could measure that via the "strength" value. The strength of the unit must be more than the "average" strength value of the AI's units.

If number of units is higher than units allowed AND the AI has negative cash flow, then sell units, starting with the weakest ones.

IF a player decides to flood a AI with units to fook up his financial balance, then the AI will disband units, starting with the weakest unit until a positive cash flow is established again. So in essence, the AI is getting stronger.

It shouldn't be so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
                              You speak as if you had never witnessed the kind of cashflow one can have in Civ3 around the time of Tanks. Seriously, it would be all too easy to buy most of those advanced units from the AI.
                              Bought long time ago and time of Tanks cancel each other out here.
                              Of course provided you mean you reached that age as well.
                              He who knows others is wise.
                              He who knows himself is enlightened.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                              X