Nov. PC Gamer 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nov. PC Gamer 2005

I just look through Nov issue of PC Gamer and there is not one add about Civ 4. We are now about 26 days from release and not one add. Is Take 2 sitting on their hands or what? Not everyone has Internet connection and some just look at adds in Mag. to know when games are being released.

I've had a computer since 1984, but did not have Internet conn. until 1992/3 when I bought my 486.

there are ads on gamespot.

who reads pc mags these days?
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
      there are ads on gamespot.

who reads pc mags these days?
      I do.

PC Gamer
      Computer Games
      Computer Gaming World

And remember not everyone has a home computer w/internet conn. yet.

Comment

But you're also here. Who reads them just exclusively?
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I still read them.

As a Gamespot Complete member, I don't get any ads. From reading about them here, it looks like I have missed some great ones. I went looking for the CivAnon webstie and thought it was really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
            But you're also here. Who reads them just exclusively?
            I read first the old Sierra mag. and then started to read CGW and later PC G and finally CG, before I had internet conn.

I also did know about Poly and the other sites until 1999.

Comment

1999 was six years ago, which is a long time ago in gaming. Considering that the system requirements for Civ 4 will be high enough, I doubt any significant portion of their audience will not have some sort of internet connection. Print ads are expensive.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Re: Nov. PC Gamer 2005

Originally posted by Joseph
                I just look through Nov issue of PC Gamer and there is not one add about Civ 4. We are now about 26 days from release and not one add. Is Take 2 sitting on their hands or what? Not everyone has Internet connection and some just look at adds in Mag. to know when games are being released.

I've had a computer since 1984, but did not have Internet conn. until 1992/3 when I bought my 486.
                Joseph,

I don't read the mags regularly, but were there ads for Civ4 in earlier issues? If not, then I guess I wouldn't be surprised. Well, not much. If they were there, then it does seem surprising to me. I imagine most first day purchasers are well aware of the game w/ or w/o adds. However, with all the games slated for release in the near future, the ads might be just a reminder not to blow all of our money too early.

Comment

Why would they be paying huge sums for print advertising in mags that are currently featuring previews of the game for free?
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I don't know the costs, but from your posts it appears onine ads are much less expensive, I would ask why pay anything for ads online when gamespot (for example) is covering the game for free?

Comment

I think this means that Firaxis

a) Knows that Gamespot will do enough plenty of free features for them (along with other games sites and print magazines)

b) That their core audience is composed of those who have followed the development and/or will buy it on sight at the store when it's on the shelf.

c) That, perhaps, things like Civanon...which can stay around a lot longer than a print magazine and could generate a lot better buzz to a larger crowd...would be a better use of ad money.

Keep in mind that we are still way ahead of the Christmas push. They know that Poly freaks will pre-order...and we'll suffer any bugs, etc. But come Christmas, that's their time to hit the more general audience, and they'll also by then have the benefit of our all free bug hunting, etc., which could result in an easier time with Mr. Public the day after Christmas.
                      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

My wife HATES Civ and she thought the CIVANON ad was hilarious.

She made me join last January
                        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

this thread sucks

I thought there was going to be some info about Civ4 that was in that issue of PC gamer or something
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                            I think this means that Firaxis
                            I think the publisher would be the one making advertising decisions, wouldn't you?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25
                              My wife HATES Civ and she thought the CIVANON ad was hilarious.

She made me join last January

My Wife Hates Civ is a man, not a woman.
                              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                              X