Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Civ on Dell laptops

Originally posted by Mudhut
    I too will be buying a new laptop to run Civ 4 (my last computer purchase was the week before Civ 3 came out...detect a pattern here?).

I noticed that a poster above said that it would run on the Dell Inspiron 9300 with 128 Mb DDR ATI Radeon Mobility X300.

I was looking at the Dell 6000 - the cheaper model than the 9300 - and was wondering if anyone had that model and could verify that it would work (beta testers?). It would have a 1.56 G chip, 1024 RAM and the same video card - 128 Mb DDR ATI Radeon Mobility X300.

I understand what several posters have said about buying the best laptop video card you can (since it can't be changed), but all I care about is playing Civ 4. And I have to watch the $$...

Thanks,
    Mudhut.
    Well the X300 definitely supports the DX9 programable shaders issue, but if you can afford it I'd go for the X600, as it will have longer legs. The CPU and memory semm ok at least to meet the min specs for Pirates.

CS
    Global Admin/Owner
    Civilization Players Leagues
    www.civplayers.com
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25
      If I could do that I would have gotten the more expensive card
      I caved in to temptation -- I'm buying the best video card available with the Dell laptop I ordered.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Hmmm... these are my specs:

1.7 Ghz Pentium III
        512 MB RAM
        GeForce4 Go 32 MB VRAM

What d'y'all think? Can I run it?
        I have about the same specs, except a IV instead of a III and more (overclocked) Ghz. Mine should be able to run it according to the info available at present, so you should be fine I think.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Good deal .

And if it runs slow... well, it's a TBS, who cares!
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Good deal .

And if it runs slow... well, it's a TBS, who cares!
            Imran, just stick to baseball and law and leave us more serious fanatics to TBS games.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Civ 3 complete spec are as follow.
              Win 98/2000/XP
              P-2 400 mhz
              Mem 128 mb ram
              HD 1.73 free
              CD 4X or higher
              Video Win compatible video card, same with sound card.

Pirates was
              98, ME, 2000, & XP
              P-3 & AMD Athlon 1 Ghz or more
              256 meg ram
              HD 1.4 Gb free
              DVD/CD 4X or higher
              Video 64 MB Win w/T&L SVGA
              Sound compatible sound card.

Now Act of War is
              P-4 1.5GHz min. 2.2 recommended
              mem 256 - 512 recommended
              HD 6 GB free
              DVD 2X or faster
              Video 64 MB T&L, 128 recommended
              Sound card as long it is compatible with DirectX 9.0c

Sid games have never been out reach for most player, so why would he do it with this one?

Also I just look at Rome total war and it will run on a P-3 w/1 Gb, w/256 mb of ram.
              Last edited by Joseph; October 16, 2005, 19:09.

Comment

WOOOT! On the suggestion of someone else on this forum, I downloaded the AoE III demo, which requires a 64 MB V-Ram, but I was able to run it no problem with my 32 MB. I wonder if I can run Pirates?

So I should be fine for CivIV.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

my desktop is fine. as for laptop - are there any news as to whether the game would absolutely require hardware t&l or will it scrape by forced software t&l ?

Comment

Keep in mind that since Civ 4 is turn-based, as long as the display options can be turned WAY down, it may still be playable on older and slower machines. Pirates had some action sequences that would have made it unplayable on the slower machines, but in this case, it MIGHT be ok. A key will be if the game will just decide not to run because it requires the vid card to handle certain function calls, even though a software rendering of certain calls could be implemented.

Comment

Imran,
                      The Pentium 3 never went beyond 1.13GHz or so because of technical reasons. Are you sure it's not a P4 1.7GHz or a Pentium-M running at 1.7GHz?

The reason you can play newer games with video cards that have a small amount of memory on them is because AGP and PCI Express allow the video card to make use of main system memory. You could take an AGP video card with 4 megs of memory on it and run games on it that require 256 megs of video memory, but it will be very slow since the AGP interface(or PCI Express for that matter) is much slower than using memory that is on the video card itself.

A big question at this point is the video card requirement for many people. Does the game REALLY require a video card/GPU that has DirectX 9 acceleration on it? That's not the same as if a card works with DirectX 9. My guess is that it SHOULD run with just about any card as long as you have vid card drivers that support DirectX 9. Old ATI Rage based or NVIDIA TNT2 based graphics probably won't work here. Mobility Radeon or Geforce Go probably would.

Comment

Working...
                      X