No announcement yet.

I'm now planning a Leader Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I would place him in a Caste System since India is a model Caste system state. The problem is, it is not a favoured civics group the way Firaxis made them.
    The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
    - Frank Herbert

Comment

Updated List.

Universal Sufferage: (1)
      FDR

Theocracy: (3)
      Saladin, Isabella, Montezuma

Police State: (3)
      Qin Shi Huang, Genghis Kahn, Napoleon

State Property: (2)
      Mao Zedong, Lenin(Catherine)

Serfdom: (1)
      Peter

Hereditary Rule: (7)
      Hatshepsut, Louis XVII, Alexander, Huayna Capac, Kublai Kahn, Bismarck, Cyrus

Caste System: (1)
      Asoka

Free Religion: (0)

Repersentation: (3)
      Victoria, Caesar, Fredrick

Vassalage: (1)
      Tokugawa

Mercantilism: (1)
      Elizabeth

Free Market: (2)
      Mansa Musa, Washington

Pascifism: (1)
      Gandhi

Edit: Anyone think they can think of a way to get people out of Hereditary rule? Eh, then again, maybe that would be sorta realistic.

Comment

Well, just consider - Louis XIV, Hatshepsut (and all Egyptian Pharaohs), Alexander, Huayna Capac and Cyrus are probably some of the best definitions of monarchy. Full, absolute monarchy there. Kublai Khan, I do not know that much about him. Bismarck, well, he's the guy you could reasonably put somewhere else, at wish.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Aren't there a total of 25 "civics" choices? Many of the others could be used for doing leader mods.

Comment

Apparently Kublai Kahn was a massive warmonger who introduced Economic reforms (paper money) and gave religious tolerence to all but the Taoists.

Comment

Maybe move Washington from Free Market into Free Religion? I wouldn't say Washington was known as an economics guy as president or otherwise, and this would serve to put someone back into the Free Religion category.

Personally I'd like to see them give each leader two favorite civics, that way we don't have to pigeonhole some of these people into one civic. All the guys you have in hereditary rule deserve to have that as part of their personality but I think a secondary one would help differentiate them from each other a little more.

Comment

The thing about favoured Civics is that they're a big part of diplomacy, to help create blocks of civs, as mentioned in various previews. You're not gonna get blocks if every leader has a unique Civic. The original list is pretty good for this, Verenti's list will just create one big block vs single civs (and maybe the odd couple).

This is why it isn't wise to attempt to mod a game you haven't ever played. Theory and practice tend to be worlds apart...
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I think it won't be as bad if you suggest. I think it would be more like Alpha Centauri: Like if you have Economic adgeda, Your allies will be amongst those who'se agendas lie in other Spheres

Mansa Musa wouldn't ally with Mao, but He could get along with practically anyone else on the board. It doesn't kill the blocs, it makes them more flexible so it won't be the same players siding over and over

Comment

Maybe, maybe not, we really don't know until we play the game. Which brings me back to my second point
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I tend to agree with Locutus, let's wait and see.
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

As well as adjusting existing leaders some civs would benefit from new ones. Obviously that would require new graphics and God knows what else so it's something for later.

I posted this at Civfanatics.

I don't know if every single civ really requires two leaders, but there were some weird omissions.

I don't share the problem some of you have with the preferred civic choices. The leader doesn't represent the individual but the guiding spirit of the nation. We could take issue with Elizabeth's rendering as pro-freedom of religion for example but in historical context it makes sense.

Some one-leader civs, I feel, are misrepresented.

Arabs: how about resurrecting Abu Bakr for the Arabs' greatest expansionist phase? Expansive / Aggressive - Spiritual perhaps. Make Abu Bakr's preoccupation Theocracy and change Saladin's to Hereditary Rule. (And will the Arabs get the 'camel archer' even if they're based in tundra?)

Egyptians: like others, I don't understand why they only get Hatshepsut and therefore not even a shot at industriousness. They are crying out for, say, Rameses, Industrious / Expansive and probably also Hereditary Rule or conceivably Caste System.

Greeks: strange there's no alternative to Alexander. When you think of ancient Greece, you think of city states and Alexander and his dad were more responsible for breaking those than promoting them. In fact, in the big scheme of things his rule was a bit of an aberration. I suggest adding a leader from the high time of Athens, Pericles or possibly Themistocles are the obvious choices. I'm thinking either Creative or Financial / Philosophical. Representation sounds about right, though for some reason the one Persian leader gets that too :crazyeye: shame nobody told 'em, it could have saved a lot of bloodshed.

Indians: Asoka favours Universal Suffrage? WTF? At least one Indian leader should favour Caste System, right? And it's certainly can't be Gandhi. There we are then.

Persians: Cyrus should without shadow of doubt favour Hereditary Rule, not representation. A second leader, Xerxes, might even suit Police State and be organised and aggressive.

Romans: beats me why such a great and longrunning civ only gets one leader. A second, perhaps Hadrian, could represent the high imperial period. Police State, Organised / Industrious. I don't mind having Caesar be pro-Representation, as ridiculous as it sounds, because at least one Roman leader should have that trait and the alternative is a second leader from the Republican period. If that's preferred, how about Gracchus?

Russians: I'm no commie but Russia, like China, could do with one leader from that period and Lenin will do. State Property obviously, Organised / Industrious, and he should replace Catherine even though Catherine looks pretty fit these days.

Spanish: Could do with a second leader from their Habsburg period, perhaps Carlos (V) or Philip (II). Would favour hereditary rule and be spiritual and either aggressive or philosophical.
                        A billion citizens scurry like ants beneath the spires of the great city, their underpants as pure as the driven snow. The whole world is in the iron grip of The Bottom Inspectors.

Comment

Small wonder that, with the exception of the Mongols, the main world powers between now and the last 50 years have 2 leaders.
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

We should start a suggestion thread, these could be modded in or patched in by Firaxis?????
                            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Not a bad idea. But let's wait until we actually have the game first?
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                                Not a bad idea. But let's wait until we actually have the game first?
                                Well I was thinking that BUT the information IS out, and it would give us something to do while we are waiting for release. Someone could volunteer to maintain the thread and if we change our minds about combinations, etc, we can just update the thread after release
                                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Working...
                                X