No announcement yet.

PC Games Civ IV Review + Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

somehow i doubt the the world builder (a integrated part of the game(not an external tool) which was presented with an article by the senior producer just last week will not ship with the game

he might be talking about something else....
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by sabrewolf
      surprisingly much information. usually the german market only gets 2nd hand information
      Sad, but true.
      "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
        Sava, you can do rule tweaks the moment you install the game. Game data is stored in XML files - if you want to change unit strength, building cost and probably lots of similar things, that's where you do it.

The SDK is for really advanced modding - creating total conversions, absolutely new features, changing the AI, etc. And games that have a SDK always get that SDK released later, that's the way it has to be.
        okay, I hope that is right...

I know Firaxis does lots of testing to balance the game, but I usually like to do minor changes like maybe road movement and stuff just to make my gameplay more fun.

btw, what is needed to edit XML files? MS Office? or notepad? I forget...

I don't really care about the SDK all that much. I probably won't be futzing with that. Although I did experiment with Battlefield 1942's Mod Development Toolkit. That was fun. I made the jets in the mod "Desert Combat" shoot artillery rounds (with really high cyclic rate) from the M109 Paladin.

You don't know the meaning of the word "awesome" until you fly an A-10 Thunderbolt with a rapid fire 155mm howitzer as its primary weapon!

edit: okay wtf... excite smiley is gone, and the nod smiley is not working
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
          btw, what is needed to edit XML files? MS Office? or notepad? I forget...
          notepad will do the job just fine although there xml editors that have some helpfull features

then again one could also easily do a small application to change xml files

Comment

There are many good XML editors out there, but indeed, one of the beauties of the format is that you can change it as long as you have notepad.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              notepad will do the job just fine although there xml editors that have some helpfull features

then again one could also easily do a small application to change xml files
              if they ship it with the DTD or XSL or whatever schema language is used, a decent XML editor should be able to help non-IT-people model stuff.

the question is: is there a freeware XML editor which can do such stuff?
              - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
              - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

XMLSpy XML Editor is an advanced, time-saving tool for editing XML, JSON, and related technologies. See why it’s the choice of over 5 million developers with a free, 30-day trial.

Comment

24 hours evaluation time? so never leave it running when you leave for work in the morning

anyhow, i'll be looking around for some OSS/freeware editor, unless somebody can give a hint

Comment

unless somebody can give a hint

Does MS OfficeXP come with an XML editor? I should really install it and find out. But I'm too lazy.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

24 hours evaluation time?
                      it's for "selected features of the XMLSpy® 2005 Enterprise and Professional Editions"
                      the basic functionality is free. for ever

Comment

XIN editor is a freeware/open source (windows only) XML editor.

Download Xin for free. Xin is an xml editor designed to let desktop users create xml documents efficiently.
                        no sig

Comment

Or else you cold try notepad++
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

oh great , i spent all this time and effort translating and on the civ4 title page the CFC version (ok, admittedly better translation) is mentioned

Comment

It came there after yours was finished. Thought at first it was yours.
                              He who knows others is wise.
                              He who knows himself is enlightened.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

oh great , i spent all this time and effort translating and on the civ4 title page the CFC version (ok, admittedly better translation) is mentioned
                                That's DanQ for ya, he doesn't have the time to read the forums every day, that's basically Solver's and my job. Too bad I'm too busy IRL ATM to contribute much to the site or I would've written an article earlier. Next time, give us a heads-up at news@apolyton.net.
                                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X