No announcement yet.

Preview on Gamespot with leader(s)/civ specifics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redcoats for the Brits? Odd. The Ship of the Line was definately their foundation for world domination. Also, the redcoat replaces the rifleman? Did I read that right? I read it late the other night at work when I was tired, soo...

In the American Revolution the riflemen hiding behind a tree spelled doom for the highly diciplined musketmen that were the standard redcoat, yes?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

That would compensate for it being filled with stoned pansies.
      heh I am LOL.
      Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
        Redcoats for the Brits? Odd. The Ship of the Line was definately their foundation for world domination. Also, the redcoat replaces the rifleman? Did I read that right? I read it late the other night at work when I was tired, soo...

In the American Revolution the riflemen hiding behind a tree spelled doom for the highly diciplined musketmen that were the standard redcoat, yes?
        The way I see it, removing naval UUs is a balancing issue - depending on the amount of water on the map, such units would either give too much advantage or find almost no use at all.

In Civ3 playing the English on a pangea map was a serious handicap.
        The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
        - Frank Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          Doesn't the pacifism civic also double the birth rate of Great People? So a Philosophical civ with the pacifism civic would produce Great People 4 times faster? That civ would be popping Great People like popcorn!

Well, Pacifism would surely make sense for a Philosophical civ! I don't think, however, that it's so easy - playing a strategy dependent on Great Persons probably also takes some skill.
          You could aim for cultural victory that way - using the Great Persons to help you build wonders, drop the "culture bombs" and get a lot of GAs.
          - Frank Herbert

Comment

It's also interesting to see how UUs spread across chronologically.

You have 7 ancient units (Aztecs, Egyptians, Greeks, Incans, Malinese, Persians, Romans), 5 medieval units (Arabians, Chinese, Japanese, Mongolians, Spanish) 3 post-medieval units (English, French, Russians), and 2 modern units (Americans, Germans).
            - Frank Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
              Doesn't the pacifism civic also double the birth rate of Great People? So a Philosophical civ with the pacifism civic would produce Great People 4 times faster? That civ would be popping Great People like popcorn!
              I also read in Gamespot that the civics Pacifism already doubles the birth rate of Great People.

If Philo is all about Great People´s birth rate I'd rather stick to expansive and industrious traits.
              If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
              Ailing Civilization Strategy
              How to win on Deity Builder style, step-by-step
              M2TW Guide to Guilds (including Assassins')

Comment

+100% birth rate may not be a doubling of the pace for great people. It may very well be so that Pacifism gives +100% birth rate which means it will be 3 timas faster birth rate, though it's very unclear. It's simply a balancing issue I guess and we here can't guess what the best balance is.

And all, please remember that you can use great people to start golden ages, which means philiosophical probably can be very powerful, and very fun. The problem may well be that they may become too powerful if there is a way to abuse it.

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus
                  It's also interesting to see how UUs spread across chronologically.

You have 7 ancient units (Aztecs, Egyptians, Greeks, Incans, Malinese, Persians, Romans), 5 medieval units (Arabians, Chinese, Japanese, Mongolians, Spanish) 3 post-medieval units (English, French, Russians), and 2 modern units (Americans, Germans).
                  So where should we place the Indian UU?
                  Still, though, it is a very interesting twist. I am a true builder at heart, and I will try India under Asoka for my first game
                  This thread may contain traces of nuts.

Comment

With their starting techs as stated in the preview, India will definitely need those unique workers... to get monasteries up and running before everyone else and spreading the Word around.
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I wonder... if you capture an Indian worker (BTW, can you still capture workers? ) does it still work better than a regular worker?
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yes, but then all your other workers get angry.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                          Yes, but then all your other workers get angry.
                          Just the union workers

Comment

It's considered slavery, your civ would rebel once a certain civic was adopted.
                            He who knows others is wise.
                            He who knows himself is enlightened.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Drakan
                              Yeah I feel sorry for Indian players. I mean everybody has these cool UU units:

Germans: Die Panzerrr (brrr shivers)
                              USA: Navy Seals (yikes)
                              England: Red Coat
                              Spain: Conquistador
                              India: the fast-worker (WTH ?)

India is certainly a civ for peace lovers. It actually sounds ok with Ghandi really, um, I guess.
                              If their workers allow them to develop their cities/land more rapidly than another civ can, with less workers, then I'd think that would be an overall boost for everything since it means more populations in cities, more terraformed/improved land faster, etc.

UU's don't have to be military only to work well.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Now you jest of course, because that would have been a mighty feat even for him, if not a little difficult.

For he was, alas, dead.

Ptolemy II Soter gets the free library card instead.

As for the Pharos, that's attributed to Ptolemy I Soter, II's daddy- his bright idea shines still...
                                Hmm, and here I thought all of the Ptolemy rulers of Egypt were descended from the Greek Generals who split up Alexanders realm when he died.. I guess not..

(In other words, it wasn't a 'classical' Egyptian ruler who build that)

Comment

Working...
                                X