Preview on Gamespot with leader(s)/civ specifics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sava
    what happened, didn't Civ3 with Conquest have up to like 32?
    maybe they are purposely holding out on us in order to get us to buy expansion packs
    You can bet on it!
    But of course we can't ingnore the balancing and fine tuning difficulties, that can become a nightmare if you are juggling with 32 different civs, instead of a more manageable 18.
    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

They did a pretty good job keeping the leaders pretty different, except the Indians. Maybe an aggressive/expansive Indian leader or something. A couple more two-leader nations would be nice, too.
      ----
      "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

The irony is that Ashoka was a warmongering expansive emperor, who converted to Buddhism and piety only after (and because) he'd slaughtered much of the military and civilian population of one of the kingdoms he'd conquered.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Drakan

I'm not surprised at all.

Spain was the first country to have a body of Marine Corps back in 1537. So If a country should have them as UU it should be us.

Infantería de Marina, FAS, Fuerzas Armadas, Desembarco, operacion anfibia, Militar, Ministerio de Defensa, España, Marina, Armada, Cuerpo de élite, Fuerzas Especiales, Buiques anfibios, ATP-36, Guerra Naval, Tercio, Mar Océano, Tercio de Armada, IM, I.M. , San Carlos, Uniforme de Franjas,

On the other hand, Navy SEALS are exclusive of the US, so it fits for you to have them as USAs UUs.
          I have no problem with Marines as a generic unit for everyone, my only point was that in the US military the marines are already semi-elite. The SEALS, while elite, are really just an outgrowth of Commandos which also aren't of US origin. Of course, the USMC came into its own in the 20th century. I also don't think that who came up with it first should make a UU. Somebody came up with everything first.

Anyway, I guess my real point was that I just don't see SEALS as something that reflects anything that great as a civilization.

EDIT: After thinking about it some more, my problem was that the SEALS replace the Marines. It just seems strange that there will be no marines for the US player. Not a really big deal, it just struck me as odd.
          Last edited by Arnir; September 27, 2005, 12:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Philotas

Actually, would be fun to play against an AI leader who is just absolutely crazy.
            Yeah, like Klackons in MOO/MOO2.
            The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
            - Frank Herbert

Comment

I'm not surprised at all.

Spain was the first country to have a body of Marine Corps back in 1537. So If a country should have them as UU it should be us.

Infantería de Marina, FAS, Fuerzas Armadas, Desembarco, operacion anfibia, Militar, Ministerio de Defensa, España, Marina, Armada, Cuerpo de élite, Fuerzas Especiales, Buiques anfibios, ATP-36, Guerra Naval, Tercio, Mar Océano, Tercio de Armada, IM, I.M. , San Carlos, Uniforme de Franjas,

Very interesting info, Drakan. Thanks!
              RIAA sucks
              The Optimistas
              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                The existing combo that worries me as written is the Expansive/Philosophical one.

+2 health, cheaper granaries, and double birth rate!?!

That's a population boom waiting to happen.
                Maybe population isn't everything.

Comment

Philospohical is double _Great People_ birth rate
                  - What's that?
                  - It's a cannon fuse.
                  - What's it for?
                  - It's for my cannon.

Comment

That's good... double birth rate would definitely be overpowered.

The best part is, though, that I can again laugh at Gamespot who can't get traits right when they have the game! Haaaa ha!
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
                      Philosophical is double _Great People_ birth rate
                      QFB (Quoted For Bolding)
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Ok, so I guessed right after small evidence. *pats on the shoulder*

Comment

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
                          Philospohical is double _Great People_ birth rate
                          Is Industrial +50% wonder production or +50% worker production, like industrial in Civ 3?

Comment

Xmudder,
                            check the gamespot article. I'm pretty sure it is 50% wonder production. Especially as India have worker unit as a unique unit.

Comment

Talking about a lame Indian UU: the fast worker
                              With the new ways to work the land, this might be a bigger plus than it appears now.

Comment

How can fast workers ever be lame? The faster you develop your tiles, the faster you can do things (like build, research, etc). That is very important to any strategy that involves *building*.
                                -Darkstar
                                (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

Working...
                                X