Battle history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle history

If a great battle occurs on a square it should be possible to record the event with a few word 'Battle of...' on the map, maybe with little crossed swords like in military history books.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Modders request.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I know its pure 'eye-candy' but I support this idea 100%. Beyond that, I would love to see a return of the Civ2 'war records', where you could see all your past battles, and which units were killed on both sides-and perhaps what promotions were recieved by the surviving units (oh and, the ability to name these battles in the same way as Lancer describes!)

Yours,
      Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Do you mean the way they do this in RTW ?

You get crossed swords on the map where a huge battle took place, and mouse over gives you the details of who fought who and the victors name.

Its a cool feature in RTW but I think you could end up a very cluttered map in civ, well in certain areas.

If it was only generated for battles on tiles where large numbers of units fight in the same turn then perhaps it would not be so bad.
        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Ahhh, but what if you made it so it only appeared with the appropriate Filter (Military Filter sounds most appropriate). Under this filter, you would see the crossed swords on all tiles where battles have occured and-when you click on that tile-it will pop-up with any and all battles which have occured there. Then clicking on individual battles in the list could bring up the details of 'casualties and promotions' from that battle.
          How does that sound?

Yours,
          Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Nice

very cool feature
            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Sounds great Aussie Lurker !

I miss CivII's list of casualties.
              If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
              Ailing Civilization Strategy
              How to win on Deity Builder style, step-by-step
              M2TW Guide to Guilds (including Assassins')

Comment

I always enjoyed Civ I's map history at the end of a game, showing all the forces you've extinguished, ah, 'co-opted', rather, into joining your co-prosoperity sphere...
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

that would be too

this filter could be set by number of units( greater than) and or type of units ??
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

It would add an element of history to a game that encompasses it, and makes its own. I'd like to be able to write stuff on the map...'Plain of Death, Killing Fields'...bright cheery stuff mostly.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
                      Ahhh, but what if you made it so it only appeared with the appropriate Filter (Military Filter sounds most appropriate). Under this filter, you would see the crossed swords on all tiles where battles have occured and-when you click on that tile-it will pop-up with any and all battles which have occured there. Then clicking on individual battles in the list could bring up the details of 'casualties and promotions' from that battle.
                      How does that sound?

Yours,
                      Aussie_Lurker.
                      Sounds definitely great!
                      RIAA sucks
                      The Optimistas
                      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

and razing of cities
                        and capturing land area
                        and capturing wonders

and a and a

I have some left over cents
                        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Would be a nice feature,
                          just like the naming of terrain tiles would be (just like in SMAC).

I hate these nameless continents and oceans
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                            Would be a nice feature,
                            just like the naming of terrain tiles would be (just like in SMAC).
                            With appropriate filtering, I agree, that would be a very cool mod. I'd probably have a few co-prosperity spheres. heheh.
                            Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Say if X amount of battles took place on a square, this square would then get the "swordsthingie" you guys are talking about.

It could then generate extra commerce (+1 perhaps) since it could function as a tourist attraction.

Of course the "great battles" should disappeas after a few dozen turns. Anyone still remember the infamous shang-dong-wong battle? No? Didn't think so

The time it takes to disappear should depend on how many engagements between units took place on that square.

Comment

Working...
                              X