And yet another weekly update...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matches10:

Hi, and welcome. Things like that have been tried in varying degrees. In the Ages of Man (free) expansion to Call to Power 2, for instance, distance from capitol and government determine how far away and how many cities you can have before various levels of unrest set in. Usually, however, you can research a wonder or zip toward a government advance that allows for cities further away, more of them and so forth.

The bigger reality, though, is that even with these limitations, you can almost always tweak cities to counter the problems, and even if this means that they are barely making a profit or, indeed, are losing the overall empire money, it's easily absorbed. Then, once you have that wonder or government that makes larger empires easier to sustain, you've already got the cities ready to go. One tweak, then, would be to make cities *not* part of the general coffers until much later in the game so that your cities in high-gear around the capital can't take up the slack for those newer cities farther away.

Another approach, as I've suggested before, isn't to make the cities go away but to introduce a different empire management scheme (in this case, state-based) that then alleviates the micro --or, at least, makes for different and hopefully more interesting micro-- associated with so many cities.

So what really gets me down isn't so much the expasion part (which is fun, actually) but a) the mindless micro and b) the fact that the AI simply can't keep up. Civ3 tried to get at this a bit with city expansion, most apparant with what I termed "Settler Diahrrea" -- and this kind of worked except that the AI disregarded your borders completely when in the land grab phase, and it took a lot of the atmoshphere out of the game.

Somewhere in here is a good mix of limiting city producivity in relation to empire size / government / tech, etc. and, perhaps, by introducing different kinds of management schemes as those changes occur. Again, I don't mind being a city sweeper early in the game (what else is there to do but to gleefully squeeze that extra 2 gp from a slider bar?), but toward the middle and end game, I want to think more about how government policy on energy conservation, for example, helps and hinders my empire overall rather than continuing (by now) to find those slider bars a pesky lesson in repetitive motion.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Interesting how an article(s) on the MP CIV game have turned into a discussion on ICS and other build versus attack topics.....

If anyone actually wants to discuss MP issues of a game that is sure to increase the MP Civ community by several factors, I'm here :-P

CS
      Global Admin/Owner
      Civilization Players Leagues
      www.civplayers.com
      http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I joined having been a visitor to the site a while back. I was a player of the original CTP and then later Civ III, being a long time player of the original. I rather belatedly read about the new release and came here to check out the news.

I suppose the idea of micromanagement never got to be too much for me but I can definitely see your point. I guess fundamentally though the Civilization series will always be city-based. And maybe the reason I never got to be all that good at the games was simply that I didn't take the time to micro-manage. I just like the story, the strategy and generally speaking the previous game left me wanting. I hope the new civics, religion, etc are enough to make the new game worth my while.

Comment

Well I have to say, Yin, that on the matter of "Settler Diahrrea" at least they seem to have gotten things right-i.e. making borders completely non-porous to other civs unless you have an open border agreement with them. In fact, if I understand it, non-open borders keep all but Spies and missionaries out of your territory now-unless one side declares war. What I hope, though, is that there is a 3-tiered border control system-Open, Normal and Closed-with closed borders keeping everything out, but at a cost to your trade income.
          Anyway, I think between this and the sheer early cost of cities, I think that incredibly large ancient/middle age empires will be fairly rare indeed.

Yours,
          Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Aussie, I reckon missionaries are also out unless open border pact is in place.

Comment

You see, my belief is that you have 'normal' border states-which keeps out all 'conventional units'-including settlers and workers. However, as unconventional forces, missionaries and spies could probably still slip across (as, possibly, could other unconventional units). Closing your borders would, IMO, lock out even these units-but would restrict your trade opportunities (and we know that closed borders has this effect). Then, on the other side of the ledger, my belief is that the Open Border arrangement lets ALL units, belonging to that civ, to cross your borders-but with the added bonus of greater trade revenue.
              As I stated, though, this is just a belief-a belief I hope will be confirmed !

Yours,
              Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

I don't think there should be any border option that can keep out spies and other conventional units - there's no such option in the real world. There were tons of spies behind the iron curtain, and I imagine there are a couple in North Korea.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                  There were tons of spies behind the iron curtain, and I imagine there are a couple in North Korea.
                  Shhhhhhh..........
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

for the record

any pbem game I am in, any unwelcomed missonary in my border
                    well be delt with severly...seriously

should only be able to happen if there is a ROP
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

• Truth be told, Platypus, we still don't know all the details regarding borders and rights of passage (assuming the latter is even still in the game). All we really know is that closed borders shut out missionaries-PERIOD-but hurt your ability to do trade. Beyond that, there is still not enough info.

Yours,

Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

• understood

just my declaration of hatred towards missionaries

Yes, I know, I got issues
                        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

• Originally posted by yin26
                          Markos: I'm glad you're fighting the good fight. It reminds me a bit, though, of Hussein's Communications Director standing near the exploding Bagdhad Airport claiming all the infidels have been wiped from Iraq.
                          Baghdad Bob!

I disagree with your definition of ICS, yin.

There is a very simple equation involved. Either more cities is always better, or at some point there is a point past which more cities are never better. Either of these mechanisms has only one right answer, and neither could fuel a lasting and replayable infrastructure for a strategy game. To be really good, it would have to be sometimes beneficial to expand but not always. However, that is easier said than done.

Beyond this equation is the question of map size. If you don't like managing a lot of cities, play on smaller maps. If the mechanic is fun up to a point, find that point for yourself and only play maps that run out of room at or before you reach the unfun point.

I mean... It really is that simple.

A. Bigger is always better.
                          B. Smaller is always better.
                          C. Something well designed, with interesting choices to make.

-and-

Assuming that Option C is the case (for the sake of argument here, since, like, nobody has ever really delivered Option C)...

1. Small maps or maps played with extra civs would be more crowded, offering one type of strategic situation.
                          2. Large maps or maps played with fewer than normal civs would give lots of elbow room to everybody, meaning more cities per faction.
                          3. If the game mechanics are such that it is only viable to support X cities, but the maps have room for Y cities and Y is so much higher than X that in every single game there are huge sections of land nobody can afford to settle due to game rules that arbitrarily limit their size... Well. I think that game would have less legs than Civ. I would certainly not call it well designed!
                          4. Assuming the map size and amount of space fits the game balance, you can dial the crowdedness up and down to suit your taste.

From what I gather, your definition of ICS is not "bigger is always better" or "more, smaller cities are always better than fewer, larger cities" but "If bigger is ever better, than that's ICS." With that, I must disagree.

- Sirian

Comment

• Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                            for the record

any pbem game I am in, any unwelcomed missonary in my border

should only be able to happen if there is a ROP
                            i think you can sent missionaries to other civs only if they allow it
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• any pbem game I am in, any unwelcomed missonary in my border
                              just my declaration of hatred towards missionaries

missionarys all over the place are working hard to help people. why would you be hating them?
                              if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

• Originally posted by LaRusso
                                Aussie, I reckon missionaries are also out unless open border pact is in place.
                                I was hoping they'd be invisible secret units like in CTP 1 & 2. That way they could sneak into other civs and convert people. I'd also like to see slaver units like CTP had.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X