Map Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Size

I read in the compiled literature and speculation about Civ 4 that the conversion to 3D would force the designers (and ultimately the gamers) to be more economical about map sizes . Does anyone know what has been discussed? I've done some digging but have been unable to find any hard numbers.

I can only assume that there will be that famous built-in level of customization that will allow the player to utilize larger maps and longer games if they so choose.

Fortunately for me, I intend to invest in a fairly high-end computer in the near future that should be able to handle the demands the game will place on a computer system, but for anyone that may be skirting the minimum requirements, it might be good to know just how much will be lost in the trade-off.
    "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

I hope we don't lose Huge maps.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

every other civ game as had the ability to go"large" on maps

why change that now?
      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

who cares what peoples comps can do? imo the map sizes should be unlimited,even 100000x100000, if your computer freezes its your own fault
        if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

hey, just curious... I've seen lots of screens, but haven't seen this addressed anywhere... are the maps still cylinders? or are they actually globes now?
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
            hey, just curious... I've seen lots of screens, but haven't seen this addressed anywhere... are the maps still cylinders? or are they actually globes now?
            AFAIK they are as the old tradition, only they "stretched" it over a half sphere to simulate the globe view.
            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

As long as the AI algorithims work on maps made larger than optimum - which they DIDN'T in Civ 3 - then we will be fine. The map size will be moddable at minimum in XML, but it needs to be playable.

Comment

Re: Map Size

Originally posted by ruby_maser
                I read in the compiled literature and speculation about Civ 4 that the conversion to 3D would force the designers (and ultimately the gamers) to be more economical about map sizes . Does anyone know what has been discussed? I've done some digging but have been unable to find any hard numbers.
                The maps are indeed smaller, but I don't believe it is due to the 3-D interface. At least, they have not said that is the reason, and it doesn't make sense that it would be.

Comment

Re: Re:

Originally posted by sophist

The maps are indeed smaller, but I don't believe it is due to the 3-D interface. At least, they have not said that is the reason, and it doesn't make sense that it would be.
                  Doesn't make sense to you anyway.

Seeing as how a 3D interface and gameplay at larger map sizes both weigh heavily on system resources, it makes perfect sense to me that, if the designers wanted to keep system requirements reasonable, including 3D would necessitate some concessions elsewhere. Paring down the map sizes is a logical choice.
                  "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

Re: Re: Map Size

Originally posted by sophist
                    They have said that it was done because of the demands of 3-D.

If the early interviews are accurate, the maps are slightly smaller than Civ3, but of course the mod abilities should allow for much more

Comment

Working...
                    X