Civ4-International question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ4-International question

Okay as always Firaxis will release localized versions of the game. I did applaud the Civ3 descision to first sell the english version of the game and later shell out a localized one.
    With games such as civ I always prefer to have the english one, but the price for importing is way too high.

So, first question, will the english version be bundled with the localized game?

The downside of Civ3 was that it had lots of issues with different language versions e.g. I am having a PBEM where the game aborted because it couldn't find the animation for "Krieger" (which is german for warrior) even though I have the english civ3 and installed c3c english and all subsequent patches in english). Maybe it thought that I had a german OS, but this cannot be, can it? Another thing that happened is when you install e.g. C3C in english and then when applying a patch you choose german for the installation language (normally the installation dialog and the installed files need not have the same language) the game was broken.
    Part of this was because the localization people decided to translate the names of the folders and all files. This was corrected only partly with C3C and the introduction of ANIMNAME. I hope Civ4 gets rid of any such stupidness and spanish, french, english, german,... Civ4 can interact nicely with each other.
    It is also difficult to release mods that work for all versions because you need to release seperate pediaicons.txt for each language.

As with the patches, I do seriously hope that all languages are released same time. I'd be quite angry if I had to wait 2 more weeks to get a patch for the german civ4 (if it's not possible to buy the english one here). Same price (actually it's even more expensive), same service! I think this is a fair demand.

Btw, amazon germany has it listed for 50 Euros ($62).

the price also depends on the retailer. i see today that amazon uk has a price cut
    RRP: £39.99
    Our Price: £29.99
    You Save: £10.00 (25%)
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

30GBP are still ~45 euros

edit: I know one way to get an english version would be to buy from the uk, but then they used to have that us-english, uk-english difference and that IMO just makes matters worse.

edit2: I just looked at some games, they all had these kind of rebates on them. No game did cost more than £30
      Last edited by Atahualpa; September 8, 2005, 16:13.

Comment

From an online retailer, it should never be more than £30...anything else is just ridiculous...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
        X