The Late Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Late Game

So have any of the online game reviewers or Firaxis PR staff actually made it past the Industrial Revolution? I have only seen one screenshot with post-Ancient units, and it appeared to be Musketmen. I have not read anything about later-years gameplay, or reviewers reaching victory conditions.
    If any of you can point me to that sort of information, please do! Thanks!
    Esquire

Exactly. There's nothing about the late game.

I've seen a couple of riflemen, but the scenario didn't seem adequate.
    RIAA sucks
    The Optimistas
    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Making the late game fun, balanced and interesting is probably one of the toughest challenges facing Civ4. If the previous titles are any indication, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

On the other hand, sometimes no news is good news. Maybe they are still working on it?

- Sirian

Comment

The reason we haven't seen any modern screenshots so far, is said to be that when one makes a game one do so by completing the earliest parts first, then the next etc. So modern age will be done last I guess.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

you know what they are doing

cant seem to find the string they were using
          Attached Files
          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

They hug a huge carrot?

ZOMFG!

Comment

When was the last game where the late game mattered anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro
                Funny you should ask. I'm playing an archipelago-map game right now where, through an unlucky Ancient war, my people were weak until the early Industrial Age. Once I solved the nasty bit of getting off of my continent, things went swimmingly, and I'm now killing or sparing civs based on whether I like their world leader graphic. If I hadn't won the race to Tanks, though (and used them abusively), I could have ended up in a defensive posture in the late game.
                ...So yeah. That's the kind of experience I'm looking for in Civ4.
                Esquire

Comment

I'd love to see a game develop like that. Lucky you.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

its probably because they cant play well enough to survive the ancient\middle ages they are actually doing all their playtesting when competent cciv players take over on patch number 20 or so
                    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                      The reason we haven't seen any modern screenshots so far, is said to be that when one makes a game one do so by completing the earliest parts first, then the next etc. So modern age will be done last I guess.
                      That makes no sense. You don't (usually) write a book without some idea of how you want it to end. Most of the work of the game has been in AI, game dynamics (rules), art work, and balance. The first three have little to do with what actual units and improvements and techs appear in the modern era, while you cannot achieve the last without seeing the game as a whole, from beginning to end.

Um, that's the problem. That's why it's important to work on the late game.

Comment

Originally posted by sophist

That makes no sense. You don't (usually) write a book without some idea of how you want it to end. Most of the work of the game has been in AI, game dynamics (rules), art work, and balance. The first three have little to do with what actual units and improvements and techs appear in the modern era, while you cannot achieve the last without seeing the game as a whole, from beginning to end.
                        Rules and ideas of how something is going to be is one thing, making it and making graphics to it is something entirely different.

Comment

well with the 3 different lengths they are promising to make, I would have thought someone would have gotten to the late game by now on a short game.

Comment

Hehe... Yeah, but what if the late ages aren't finished yet, so that showing screens of that would be bad PR?

Comment

The PTWDG?

First to nukes wins?
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X