Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about graphics... resolutions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about graphics... resolutions...

I've searched high and low for this but have not managed to find anything out.

Does anyone know what resolutions this game will be run in?

Will I be able to run 1600x1200?

I'm just curious because my monitor's native resolution is 1600x1200.

I hope it isn't just 1024x768 like Civ3

thanks
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Last game I got, 1024x768 was the minimum resolution. We're a year further now, so I wouldn't worry.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Civ3 was not only 1024, it was possible to run at any higher (and in fact, lower) resolution.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
        Civ3 was not only 1024, it was possible to run at any higher (and in fact, lower) resolution.

lies
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I run Civ3 on 1280x1024. I could have a yet higher resolution, but I don't want.

There is an option in the .ini file you have to enable. If it is set, the game takes the standard resolution of your desktop instead of changing it to 1024x768.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

lies

What about checking your facts before calling other people liars?

Comment

Sir Ralph: ty

Solver: easiest troll ever!
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Solver: easiest troll ever!
                Caught, tried and banned . OK, not really .

Comment

By the way, Solver, how was it possible to run Civ3 with a lower resolution than 1024x768? You could do it technically, but keep in mind, that the game menus (domestic, trade, military, diplomacy, culture, science etc., all of which are 1024x768-sized) do not scale according to the resolution. If you run a resolution higher than 1024x768, these menus were shown centered and still fully accessible, but I could imagine, that running a lower resolution would cut off significant part of them, rendering the game basically unplayable. I never tried it, though.

Comment

There's an utility in the Directory that I put here on Apolyton not long after Civ3 release. It lets you scroll your desktop, basically working as a virtual desktop, so that you can play Civ3 in a resolution lower than 1024x768, although that is far less convenient, of course, than playing it at the appropriate resolution.

Comment

I am more concerned about refresh rates. I really don't want to have to see the 60hz flickering.

Comment

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
                        I am more concerned about refresh rates. I really don't want to have to see the 60hz flickering.
                        That's not the fault of the game setup. You're speaking about limit of the graphic card or the (very old or cheap) monitor.
                        BTW 60hz is common in LCD screen, and doesn't make any harm about flickering because of the absence of the cathodic tube refresh. In a game where movement have a slow pace, as Civ, I don't think you'll suffer for any persistence / slow state change of the common LCD, either.
                        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Some of the screenshots in our Directory are 1600x1200, so it's fairly safe to say Civ4 will support this resolution.
                          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                            Some of the screenshots in our Directory are 1600x1200, so it's fairly safe to say Civ4 will support this resolution.
                            awesome
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                            X