Unlimited Replacements in Civ IV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlimited Replacements in Civ IV?

Units still just magicly heal up without drawing down any sort of pool of available replacements? Armies since before Napoleon's time were being 'bled white'. In Civ wars can last forever and you can always count on your units to heal up, often better than before. Remember the 'stomach units' that attacked at the Bulge? The very bottom of the barrel. Most of the German divisions were never whole after 1942...

Napoleon's GrandeArmie died in Russia and there just wasn't enough young men to rebuild it. The armies of the confederacy were bled to death as the youth of the south were used up over 5 long years of unremiting bloodbath.

...and yet, in Civ, our units are all better after a turn or two. I don't like that. For some reason it reminds me of someone telling me to 'have a nice day'. Not that that makes much sense either.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Well, I think that Supply-Lines effect the healing ratio in Civ IV... That's more realistic than what happened in Civ II and reflects what you're suggesting.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I'm wondering why they haven't gotten rid of unlimited threads by Lancer yet

Comment

Lancer, what makes you think that units heal automatically in civ4?
        They didn't heal in enemy territory in civ3 until the Battlefield Medicine small wonder. If a unit in civ4 has a "heal units in same (or adjacent) square(s)" promotion, then not only can it be considered the replacements/reserve pool, but it also would be an extremely precious unit in foreign lands.

DarkCloud, what makes you think there are supply lines in civ4, other than idle (though worthy) speculation from the likes of Aussie-Lurker?

Comment

Lancer, "after a turn or two" ingame means something between 40 and 2 years throughout the game, with the part of the game were an empire is most populous in the smaller timescale. If a battalion/regiment/brigade or whatever can't be brought back to full battle-readiness manwise in that timescale, I don't know what can.

Of course, if a present-day war stretches for decades, then I will start to wonder as well.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

yes and it sometimes takes 10 years for a unit to travel from western usa to the eastern usa.

if they were using amtrak ok that explains it but its way out of proportion within any civ game

Comment

Originally posted by -FC-Commando
              yes and it sometimes takes 10 years for a unit to travel from western usa to the eastern usa.

if they were using amtrak ok that explains it but its way out of proportion within any civ game
              amtrak
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by -FC-Commando
                How long would you be walking over it, provided that you need to find shelter and food every day?
                He who knows others is wise.
                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Less than 10 years, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder

How long would you be walking over it, provided that you need to find shelter and food every day?
                    how long did Lewis and Clark take?

whatever that is, then less, cuz they probably weren't in the biggest rush.
                    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder

well some dutch guys rowed a boat from new york to amsterdam in two months

Comment

boat != walking

Comment

Jaybe, that's my question. In Civ 1-3 they heal so I'm asking about CivIV. The fact that units don't heal in enemy territory is a minor inconvenience if you bring enough to take a city.

The time scale arguement is a bit silly. A unit wouldn't be defending a city for 40 years, and both WW1 and WW2 would have come and go in less than two turns. Time scale applies to time scale and that's pretty much it.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

In Civ3, units don't heal in enemy territory, and that's the part that makes sense. Healing in your own territory, sure, view that as reinforcements coming. Civ isn't a realistic war game, and doesn't accurately measure those supply lines and casualties. Instead, it gives you the chance of actually waging a successful war.
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Instead, it gives you the chance of actually waging a successful war.

Very unrealistic indeed

Comment

Working...
                              X