Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you started creating a list of names for your cities ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you started creating a list of names for your cities ?

I always do that, I know I look like a freakin' nerd but to hell with it. I always start first with my home made civilization. I always create an imaginary civilization with cities I name with purely made up titles. Just like Sim City 4 - I made a list of names I will use for cities. It's just very fun to do.

There is the list. My first language is french so - they have french pronunciation.

the Cervière civilization
    • Ocre (capital)
      Port Bleu
      Brouage
      Boccages
      Bourg-la-Salpêtrière
      Éverre
      L'Oranger
      Port-Quartages
      Cenellier
      Lacoste-Outremer
      L'Orpiment
      Fort L'Octane
      Montblanc
      Le Noyer
      Nucelle
      Saint-Sixte.
    «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

No.

I usually use terrain features to name my cities:

The Capital
    Cow Pie Hills
    Gold Coast
    Antlervill
    Equine City
    Ferropolis
    North/South/East/West Point
    Bananaburg
    etc...
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

default all the way baby!

In civ2 I used to use the city where I was born (I was actually in the navy and living in Norfolk at the time- but Las Vegas is my one true love) as the capitol (Las Vegas). And then my subsequent cities would be the small towns around my city in the appropiate direction. This way I can determine which city is under attack (or whatever the problem is) without spending all day looking for the damn thing. For instance: if it's a city directly west of my capitol but fairly close- I'll name it pahrump.

Comment

I go farther...

I always play a civ called Hiérarchie, with my folks being the Hiérarques (Hierarchs).

And I make dynasties of leaders, whose name I choose with a randomizer program on Excel. So there are Charles Ier, Charles II, Mary Ière, II, III etc., Gordon I, II. etc.

When I change of civ version, I reckon I haved changed of dynasty.

And the worst of it is that I am proud of it.
        M. le Comte

Comment

I just use the default names that comes with the game... until someone comes with a better list that fits the default civs
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

the reason why I don't use my american city (most are towns actually) names in civ3 is I have never played the americans in civ3. Except as the WW2 pacific scenario.

the fact is, the american traits suck, and their uu sucks.

I usually play the Ottomans.

I originally liked the Aztecs. For some strange reason I used the default names with them. All their city names look the same!! It was hard keeping my cities straight. I should have used my local town names even though it would sound strange having the aztecs use those names. I like the Aztecs because they are the closest Civ to my home town of Las Vegas. I'm comparing capitols here. Mexico city is closer than Washington D.C.

Comment

I use the default list. But I played a game of Civ3 where I decided to name all my cities after rock/pop bands I hated. It was funny to see my military advisor saying "Master, the loyal citizens of Toto have overthrown their oppressors and have pledged allegiance to us!" And I always answered: "We don't want Toto. Rebuff the rebels".

Or: "The evil Germans have stolen XX gold from Mariah Carey and burned it to the ground!"
              Last edited by Alex; August 7, 2005, 13:10.
              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Re: Have you started creating a list of names for your cities ?

No, since I use the default names

Comment

Default all the way, till the damn computer start to pull out names like "New this", “New that” and “New wWhatever” because there's a “Whatever City” already. In huge maps this can be very annoying.
                  RIAA sucks
                  The Optimistas
                  I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Aro
                    Default all the way, till the damn computer start to pull out names like "New this", “New that” and “New wWhatever” because there's a “Whatever City” already. In huge maps this can be very annoying.
                    In Civ3 I use defaults. In Civ2 I usually played the Celts to honor my ancestors (at least half of them) and used the default names, until the "New Whatevers" starting showing up. Then I would use towns in my area, unless the name sparked a pun in my twisted mind. My favorite that I can recall was "New Rhonda" (sp???)became "Help me Rhonda".
                    The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Use defaults...but I have several large maps framed on the wall of my office, so I will use this to pick an appropriate name when I get to "New xxx" I never use the "New xxx" city names
                      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Niptium, M le Comte, you have way to much free time on your hands...

Alltough I used to name my cities after sience fiction/fantasy cities like Tanelorn, Imryrr and Roke etc...
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I use the default names almost always.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

i use defaults, but sometimes i feel they arent appropriate, like "Londinium" when England already clearly has a London. At this point I chose an office product sitting around my computer, and jumble it somehow.

Erasia
                            Pencity
                            Paperweightto

stuff like that
                            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by M. le Comte
                              I go farther...

And the worst of it is that I am proud of it.
                              long live M. le Comte

when I get bent I do the same name, followed by a number

Ipswitch
                              Ipswitch 1
                              and so on

wait till you see what the AI does

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                              Use defaults...but I have several large maps framed on the wall c
                              Apolyton maps.....right
                              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Working...
                              X