No announcement yet.

(Firaxis, please read) RIDICULOUSLY EASY-TO-IMPLEMENT suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think some combination of health and a well chosen function relating city size number with an actual population would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

And it's probably a lost cause trying to get them to not use Gandhi as a leader?

I hope not.

I do find it vaguely offensive (and funny too...) when the 20th Century's most famous popularizer of non-violence nukes one of my cities.

It would be interesting to see a non-Moghul leader, if only for variety, but I suppose if they're opting for male/female leaders we'll still have a Gandhi, but it won't be one in a dhoti.

It's not like they don't have an awful lot of leaders and Indian empires to choose from.

Try walking a mile in Kanishka's shoes...
      Attached Files
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Try walking a mile in Kanishka's shoes...

Kanishka was Parthian, though.

Ashoka is a good choice, and I wouldn't mind Nehru either. Akbar would be a decent choice, but in a game with religion, and two Indian religions, we probably need Hindu and/or Buddhist leaders.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by sophist
          I think some combination of health and a well chosen function relating city size number with an actual population would be better.
          It should definitely scale with time, I think. And since health affects city size, that's already accounted for. Or it could be used as an offset, like so:

population = f(health) + (number of turns) * (city size) * 1000

so a city of size 1, turn 1 would have 1000 inhabitants, city of size 12, turn 100 could have 1.2 million, city of size 20, turn 500 = 10 million, assuming f(health) = 0. Add an appropriate offset for the health function.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

I don't understand why you want to have the actual population per pop point be variable over time. What's wrong with saying 12 people = 500,000 and 30 people = 9 million and structuring the game such that you were only able to get to 30 in the modern era?

Comment

Originally posted by sophist
              I don't understand why you want to have the actual population per pop point be variable over time. What's wrong with saying 12 people = 500,000 and 30 people = 9 million and structuring the game such that you were only able to get to 30 in the modern era?
              Because the world population growth has been faster than the rate of city growth in civ. And, before sanitation, cities are stuck at 12 for a while - which isn't really realistic.

Comment

Is that true in Civ4? I hope not. I hope health has been implemented so that there are no hard caps like 6 and 12, so that it's more organic. It would just so happen that without certain improvements (which depend on certain technologies), you cannot improve the health of a city enough to sustain such high populations. i.e., you could force a city to have a population of 25 even in 1 BC by merging workers and settlers, but any citizens above, say, 8, would die off rapidly.

Comment

Yeah, that would be better.

I just hope that civ-world population and city pops reflect, reasonably well, historical populations. How this is managed doesn't matter.

Comment

Perhaps city populations could scale with time as well - a size 12 city in 1000 AD might hold 200,000 inhabitants, while in 2000 AD it would hole 5,000,000.
                    "Honey, suddendly our bed seems a little crowded today. There is anything you should tell to me?"
                    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Kanishka was Parthian, though.

Akbar would be a decent choice, but in a game with religion, and two Indian religions, we probably need Hindu and/or Buddhist leaders.

Kanishka was Kushan, rather than Parthian. And Akbar was the descendant of other Central Asian nomads.

However both Akbar and Kanishka can be credited with syncretized forms of religion based on beliefs originating in India- and both can be credited with furthering Indian civilization. And of course, Kanishka did sponsor the travels and proselytizing endeavours of Buddhist missionaries.

A great southern Hindu leader might be a welcome change- Rajaraja of the Cholas, for instance.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Kanishka was Kushan, rather than Parthian. And Akbar was the descendant of other Central Asian nomads.
                        Sorry, that's what I meant

Akbar was a 3rd generation immigrant , though, so that pretty much made him Indian. I wouldn't mind Krishnadevaraya for a south-Indian hindu king.

But in any case, I think Firaxis is set on Gandhi and Ashoka (please, not Asoka), with leaderheads and all. Oh well.
                        Last edited by LordShiva; August 11, 2005, 10:29.

Comment

But in any case, I think Firaxis is set on Gandhi and Ashoka (please, not Asoka), with leaderheads and all. Oh well.

Ugh.

Akbar was a 3rd generation immigrant , though, so that pretty much made him Indian.

Stretching a point, I know, it's a little known fact that India also had rulers who were sons of African slaves.

Re: Kanishka- I've just been looking at a coin of his that shows how diverse in terms of culture and religion and ethnicity the rulers of Indian empires were-

on one side is a portrait of the standing Buddha, clad in the sanghati, with the topknot/chignon, halo around the head, extended earlobes, a bodily halo and his right hand is blessing in the abhaya mudra gesture.

An inscription in Greek (!) says 'BODDO', and Kanishka's monogram is across from this, on the left hand side.

On the other side is a standing portrait of Kanishka, very dramatic, very martial. He's placing an offering on a fire altar, he's bearded, wears a crown, and holds a spear upright, and has the typical northern long baggy trousers, heavy calf length boots, and long tunic caught in at the waist by a belt, so that it flares out below.

As well as the Zoroastrian/Parthian fire altar, he also has Parthian style regal flames on his shoulders, identifying his kingship.

It's here:

Comment

Bump for Locutus.

On another note, old threads are fun

I wonder where Boris, LordNuclear, Adm.Naismith, etc. have gone.

Comment

LordShiva:

Molly Bloom:
                              Ugh.
                              Heh.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X