Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PETITION: Delay Civ 4 Until Easter...Please Sign!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vince278
    Just what are you trying to say?

Oddly enough, I find myself agreeing with that entire rant.
    To be 'perfectly clear', please edit to be more specific: Dale's or Yin's?

Comment

The post immediately before mine (Dale's). I'm sorry, I didn't think I had to specify since my remarks followed on the heels of his. (Just like this one is following yours )
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
          Oddly enough, I find myself agreeing with that entire rant.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Hey, now it seems the game is announced for september. Stop debating, or they might end up announcing it for Easter 2005 and present their last "retarded expansion pack"
            Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre2th

He's much worse than you, but you're also a pessimist if you're assuming that it will be extremely buggy. We have no way of knowing that without a big chunk of inside information that we would never actually get.
              I don't necessarily feel the game will be buggy. I doubt any devlopers are reading this, but on the chance that they do, I want it to be known that we will not stand for buggy games.

But if what is said is true, and the game has been in testing this long, then I actually do believe the game will come out with no major bugs.

I just want the game to come out when it's finished. I don't want the game pushed ahead in date, or as Yin suggests, moved back in date.

Comment

As for Yin, is it me, or does he seem to be judging a game based soley off of screenshots?

Comment

And his awesome powers of deduction and seeing-into-the-future!
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Show me anywhere I say that I'm *only* worried about graphics. If you can read, go for it. And please don't lecture me about how Civ 3 "progressed." Trust me, I was there.

Firaxis has become a remake machine, and anything that isn't a pet project of Sid's will be predictable and tedious (you did get that, right?)...and, it seems, pretty ugly in the case of Civ 4. And what is seeing into the future but extrapolating from firm patterns?

Of course I don't mind all the baseless excitement. You're kids in a candy shop many of you --- you're the easily-pleased masses for whom the game is being watered down and served to. Bravo. The *only* thing I read that's promising about Civ 4 is the modding ability so that those who want a real challenge in this softball tournament of a remake will be able to make a real game of it.

And as for the reviews that are likely to come out, Gamespot gave Civ 3 a 9.2 -- and here is the tag line:

In fact, you might even be disappointed when you start your first game of what feels like a warmed-over version of Civ II. But this feeling fades with time. The more you play, the more you'll realize that the new game's seemingly subtle changes have a significant impact.

Right. Let's hear it for subtle changes that only become apparent after wading through hours of warmed-over gaming! Hurrah!

So, to recap for those who seem not really able to read:

*Civ 4 will be a warmed over remake with sparkly graphics designed to fool the otherwise uncritical gamer into thinking that they actually have something new in front of them.

* Many at Poly will look at and overexaggerate any little "change" (wow, the next turn button is in the upper left now!) in an effort to justify their fanboy syndrome.

* And even though this has become such par for the course I'm numb to it now, there will be bugs that Firaxis will try to pawn off as feature and/or with sentiments to the effect of "Gamers actually enjoy bugs because it gives them something to talk about and their community would fall apart with nothing else to do were it not for the bugs." Yes, Firaxis QA has said this in the past.

* Once again we'll realize that when Sid doesn't take firm control of a project, you get mediocrity at best and total garbage at worst. I suspect Civ 4 will be mediocre in most every way.

* Finally, the modding abilities are the game's saving grace. Bravo to Firaxis for understanding at least that much.

That's my stance on Civ 4. Print it out if you care to tell me again what I really think. And I'll just end by saying that for every fanboy statement, surely the counter feeling is allowed to be expressed here without the personal attacks, right? Not that I really care. I've survived some of the biggest flamewars ever hosted at Poly, but one would hope for better of people.
                    Last edited by yin26; July 24, 2005, 09:00.
                    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

My biggest hope is that they've changed MP so that games dont have to be played 'all at once', but instead can be saved and continued later (which they seem to have done). My worst fear is that they will pull 'a CIV3' and remove MP.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Yin,
                        Ouch! I respect your opinion, but I think your wrong. I don´t think Civ4 will be the greatest game ever. But I´m convinced it will be good enough to keep me occupied for months to come after it´s released. I am after all a member in the easily pleased masses who wouldn´t understand a truly great game even if it bit me in the ass
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Dr Zoidberg: Don't get me wrong...I don't begrudge anybody's right to enjoy Civ 4, and I do think you know a good game when you see one. At the same time, I don't feel the need to be quiet on such topics as warmed-over remakes, etc.

Perhaps the profits made off of Civ 4 will push Firaxis to do something far more original and engaging. Would be nice.
                          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
                            Yin,
                            Ouch! I respect your opinion, but I think your wrong. I don´t think Civ4 will be the greatest game ever. But I´m convinced it will be good enough to keep me occupied for months to come after it´s released. I am after all a member in the easily pleased masses who wouldn´t understand a truly great game even if it bit me in the ass

In fact, I'm still having fun playing Civ III.

Firaxis can keep my $50 bucks. They deserve it.
                            RIAA sucks
                            The Optimistas
                            I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Aro: My argument isn't against you or others who enjoy these games. My argument is that Civ4 is just more of the same, that's all. For some people, that's great news. For me, it's troubling because I, personally, found Civ 3 a huge disappointment.

Also, I know I'm in the minority here, and now that I've had my say on these issues, my usual pattern is to get out of the way unless provoked.

Comment

Who says that cIIIv is a bad game or a bad product really is insane.
                                I'm sure cIIIv is one of the few games that easily easily worth it's money. Much people are still playing it oftenly. Are there much other games that will still be played as oftenly as cIIIv right now, from 2001? Of course not.

Yin, you were away from poly from years. What were you doing? playing cIIIv
                                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                                X