Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PETITION: Delay Civ 4 Until Easter...Please Sign!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ack, I leave for vacation for 2 weeks and when I return Yin suddenly is back and there are polls in here that look like we're waiting for cIIIv again :eek!:
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Hey CyberShy: Good to see you! Taking vacations is selfish and wrong. I think I also called for a delay on Civ 3...you're right. And so was I!

yin just wanted an excuse so he can say "i told you so" if something bad happens

Et tu Markos? Et tu? Here's my prediction: This will play out like the Rocky movies...you know, the boxer keeps getting older, the fights get harder to win, and the wife gets more and more tired of the whole thing (so there is more nagging about the situation, etc.). Remember that Rocky eventually had to leave the ring and became a coach, ignoring his own son to train somebody who would eventually betray him for cash and fame.

Somewhere in all that is the PERFECT analogy to Civ 4, but I can't quite piece it together yet.

how much would you each pay to send them a Sid bronze in chocolate for Easter?

How about this?:
      Attached Files
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Man, that doggie cracks me up. I'm telling ya, this whole Easter idea is starting to make some real sense.
        Attached Files
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

I'll give civ4 the benefit of the doubt till it comes out. I'm doing that because Firaxis didn't have to scrap the game midway through the project and start over like what happened to civ3 when Brian Reynolds et al left to form BHG. I think that contributed greatly to civ3's final form (both good and bad). Guess we'll just have to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

do you like being unpaid testers? guinea pigs as it were?

I expect a game with no major bugs.

for instance: Play the world. The game came out touting multiplayer. Multiplayer didn't work. That's a disgrace that they needed a patch to deliver the main feature advertised.
            Civ4 can't be compared to Civ3 in that respect. The situation is completely different here. Not to mention, they've already tested Civ4 more than they ever did PTW, with still a lot more time left.

As far as being an unpaid tester, no I wouldn't mind. People here will whine about the game no matter what it's like when it comes out. Any balancing that is done here will be better than what Firaxis can accomplish (dozens/hundreds of fanatics balancing a game is nothing to sneeze at). Anyway, this isn't exactly going to be a repeat of CTP2, either.

Not that any of this stuff I've said matters. The great thing about your kind of pessimism is that you don't need a strong basis for your posts and nothing I say will change your mind. It's a win-win for you, over in Dis land. This is my opinion. It's different from yours.

Comment

Hey CyberShy: Good to see you! Taking vacations is selfish and wrong. I think I also called for a delay on Civ 3...you're right. And so was I!

Maybe I am selfish and wrong so a vacation is something that fits me perfectly

And you were wrong about cIIIv.
              I'm still playing it and I'm still enjoying it very much. :P
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I say: release the game NOW and then let us count the dead and the injured.
                I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre2th

Civ4 can't be compared to Civ3 in that respect. The situation is completely different here. Not to mention, they've already tested Civ4 more than they ever did PTW, with still a lot more time left.

As far as being an unpaid tester, no I wouldn't mind. People here will whine about the game no matter what it's like when it comes out. Any balancing that is done here will be better than what Firaxis can accomplish (dozens/hundreds of fanatics balancing a game is nothing to sneeze at). Anyway, this isn't exactly going to be a repeat of CTP2, either.

Not that any of this stuff I've said matters. The great thing about your kind of pessimism is that you don't need a strong basis for your posts and nothing I say will change your mind. It's a win-win for you, over in Dis land. This is my opinion. It's different from yours.
                  Pessimism? I think you are confusing me with Yin.

I'm not pessimistic. I just ask that they release a game with no major bugs. Is that so much to ask for?

I can't people think it's okay to release a game full of bugs.

We have to stand up to the publishers. When people buy games full of bugs, that accomplishes nothing. They will still continue to shovel out any crap they can. I'm not saying civ3 was crap. I enjoyed it. but we must expect a certain amount of quality if we are going to shell out $50.

Comment

Yin:

Questions for you. We know there's heaps of beta testers of Civ4. We also know they've been testing for almost a year. We all know beta testing is normally only done for about 3 months before release.

Shouldn't Civ4 have been released November LAST year by that logic? Strikes me as Firaxis may have already delayed Civ4 a year to make sure the testers get the bugs.

But I maybe wrong. Maybe you just like the sound of your own voice and spurt ridiculous things out before they're censored by the brain.

Dale

Comment

Dale: It's the screenshots that have me worried, not some mythical beta testing horde (and we all know how beta testers are always listened to, right?).

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

Pessimism? I think you are confusing me with Yin.
                        He's much worse than you, but you're also a pessimist if you're assuming that it will be extremely buggy. We have no way of knowing that without a big chunk of inside information that we would never actually get.

Comment

By the way, my contention isn't that it will be buggy...just predictable and tedious!

Comment

I actually like the look of Civ4. But that's a personal opinion thing. *shrug*

All along you've been spouting out comments regarding the fact you believe this iteration of Civ will be Civ2.7 (I think that's the number you gave it).

You do realise the situation surrounding Civ3 and Civ4 are completely different yes?
                            a - In Civ3 they had to start again at the halfway point when half the team left. Civ4 has had the same team for years working on this.
                            b - We all know Atari pushed the release of Civ3 (or should I say didn't move the release when 'a' above occured). From what I've read, Take-2 has made no such pushes on Firaxis.
                            c - Testing for Civ3 took all of a month or two. Testing for Civ4 has been occuring since mid-last year. Also, the testers for Civ4 are experts from the community, gamers like you 'n me. Not some group full of pimply uni students looking for any way (and saying anything) to earn their $5 /hr testing Civ3!
                            d - Soren has already proven his worth in making the Civ3 AI at least playable considering the situation he had to deal with (see 'a' and 'b' above).
                            e - They started Civ4 with a decent app engine and started from clean code (unlike Civ3 where they pretty much rehashed/changed existing code).

So I don't know how you can compare Civ3 to Civ4 considering those points. This is a COMPLETELY different situation. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Dale

Comment

And as for only having problems with the graphics? Bull**** mate! You spin more crap with that ONE comment that George Bush has his whole presidancy!

You've said the graphics are crap, the design is crap, the team is crap, the concepts will be crap (mindless distracting minigames I think you said), and many such other comments. To state otherwise just highlights your hypocracy. To me all I see is another round of Yin-promoting, neandathilic chest-beating, and general "I'm great" crowing to gain minions under your wing to fill their minds full of unproven, untested, unknown comments about Civ4. No one can say anything about Civ4 yet as a playable, bugfree, fun game as it's not released (and those who have it I'm sure as hell won't be allowed to say anything).

Give us all some credit mate, we can read.

Dale

Comment

Just what are you trying to say?

Oddly enough, I find myself agreeing with that entire rant.
                                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                                2004 Presidential Candidate
                                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                                X