Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PETITION: Delay Civ 4 Until Easter...Please Sign!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PETITION: Delay Civ 4 Until Easter...Please Sign!

Originally posted by yin26
    O.K. Now don't skin me. Here's my thinking: The entire world will be out buying all kinds of garbage games (and some good ones) for the Christmas holiday, mainly because publishers feel this is the opportune time to sell games, ready or not.

But Civ is different -- People will buy it because it's Civ, not because it's Christmas. The world could be ending in 24 hours and people would line up (after kissing family members) to get a few final turns in. And think about it: Come Easter, most gamers will be absolutely starved for a blockbuster like Civ 4. After all the twitch and scratch gaming ends post Christmas, this wouldn't just be a Easter basket stuffer--it would be the Easter Basket Bonanza that could revitalize the true Pagan spirit of the holiday! Besides, the younger gamers could pass this off as preparing for history class, and all will be right in the homes of millions, not to mention the world's I.Q. would rise a few points by early May, and that *has* to be good.

Also consider that you only get a patch or two for a game (most games) and that's it. Imagine what Firaxis could do with 4 extra months of dev time! Yes, I know this is the publisher's decision... unless a sudden flu outbreak seizes the offices and the Firaxis crew just caaaan't make the Christmas deadline.

Tell you what Firaxis: If you let this release date slip to Easter, I'll send the entire team there all our left over Easter candy. Heck, all of Apolyton's left over candy. Now don't hide the fact that programmers eat that stuff like manna!

Therefore, he or she who puts his or her name below testifies to wanting a better Civ...and a better human existence for all of us, darn it.

Signed,

-=Yin=-
    No.

Firaxis is spending several months, at least, JUST polishing this game. I doubt an extra six months would be a good investment for the return.

Comment

Sorry but part of the reason I've bought shares in Gamestop now (GME for you home gamers) is cos of CIV4. No man may delay its appearance now, I want my filthy lucre!
      Last edited by SpencerH; July 22, 2005, 22:32.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

The delay of Total Realism 6.0 is a blow to my psyche. I have absolutely nothing to play and I had hoped to have a few campaigns to keep me occupied.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Petition to what?

Kick the poll in the head?

What a dumb idea!
          It is an unarguable and self-evident fact that France has been responsible for all the major world conflicts of the last 200 years.

Comment

I have picked up games that have been worked on for more than 2 years and still there were problems.
            I think there is a point where the best we should hope for is good working features with easy to use interface.
            Most of all no CTD,s
            Holes in the AI logic will happen as we get used to how it plays . A patch or two is par for the course.

Comment

LOL! Man, you try to pass a little time before Civ 4 comes out, and some people get huffy. Sheesh!

As for problems with the game, of course there will be some. This is why I'm covering two threads: This one and the making mods easy one. Neither thread is intended to be a high-brow piece, but they speak to my main concerns, namely a cookie cutter Civ tailored for the holiday crowd and the public's ability to mod the thing back together.
              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                Sabre2th: Quit being reasonable. It's ruining my thread.
                Sorry....I know common sense has no place in a Yin thread.

Comment

I'm with ya Yin, but with Take2's stock taking a hit on this GTA nonsense, there is no way Civ4 is going to be delayed, even if it is shipped and crashes to desktop on installation for every consumer out there.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I don't see the idea of actually delaying the game going too far.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Let's see if the game actually DESERVES being delayed
                      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by ArchdukeNewell
                        Petition to what?

Kick the poll in the head?

What a dumb idea!
                        your post was dumber than the poll though

Comment

/me goes rolling on the floor laughin, stops to get himself a banana, and gets back to his rolling

I have more confidence in marketting department and developers to judge of the best balance.

Oh.... and Yin or whoever interested: how much would you each pay to send them a Sid bronze in chocolate for Easter?
                          Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre2th
                            I do agree that a release during the dead space after the holidays could help draw new players, but a delay isn't going to help the game itself in any significant way. Most of the big issues will be fixed by Christmas and Apolyton (and similar sites) will beat the game and its bugs into submission much more effectively than the playtesters ever could.

On top of that, there's no way Take2 would delay the release. It would cost them more money, which they aren't likely to make back, even if they release it during the dead space after the new year.

Voted no
                            do you like being unpaid testers? guinea pigs as it were?

I expect a game with no major bugs.

for instance: Play the world. The game came out touting multiplayer. Multiplayer didn't work. That's a disgrace that they needed a patch to deliver the main feature advertised.

Comment

after listening to Jeff Briggs say November this year...

NO..NO..

My work aniversary is up by then, and with 100+hours to burn

..I know how I am spending them
                              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

this poll was doomed from the start
                                yin just wanted an excuse so he can say "i told you so" if something bad happens
                                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                                X