Is it harder to make a good civ game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it harder to make a good civ game?

Expectations have run so high, everyone has different wants. If they put in one thing for one crowd they piss off somebody who hates the idea. Is it even possible to create a civ game that is heralded as 'great'?

I say, tingali. What does that mean? Well, if you don't know 16 different languages you can't play 16 different tribes now can you?

Now please excuse me, I have to hit the bookstore for a Mali dictionary.

Just kidding, my point is we are all so critical, our expectations run so very high, that if I was on the team putting out Civ4 I'd release the thing and spend the next six months hiding under my desk.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

I don't know if we are all so critical. Most people here will certainly buy the game as soon as it comes out, even those who vocally oppose some point or another in the game.

Besides, we're an internet forum. It's our nature to have threads ranting about some small thing or another, and blowing that thing completely out of proportion.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
      Besides, we're an internet forum. It's our nature to have threads ranting about some small thing or another, and blowing that thing completely out of proportion.

are you in management also

just seeing a nd reading what will be in

I am one happy citizen
      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Hmmm... shouldn't this thread be in the Civ games general forum instead of the Civ4 forum? The other forum is almost not used, we need some traffic in there

It's not just hard to make a Civ game that makes everybody happy, I believe this "rule" goes for all games. Can you make an FPS game that everybody who likes FPS games will like? I doubt it! Just look at Doom 3; some people like the game because of the old style where you just need to shoot everything that moves, while some people hated Doom 3 because the gameplay wasn't "updated"

But I still believe people can be "easily" satisfied. Just look at Civ3 how many people likes that game, even though it didn't really do much to the Civ series. There will always be features someone wants in (or wants removed), but most Civ fans could probably live with what is shipped with the game
        Sure, if it was me who was in charge with making Civ4 the game would be a lot more different than what it's going to be, but I do believe Civ4 will still be a good game
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Hardcore gamers doesn´t like anything as all games are marketed to a mass audience and therefore compromises.
          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

@Lancer: Is it even possible to create a civ game that is heralded as 'great'?
            As always, that depends on the eye of the beholder... but I think it is possible, and Civ4 may very well be that kind of civ game. If they do it right (warning: catchphrase ), then the game has everything it needs to be great for newbies and great for hardcore gamers in that the essence of Civ is still in, and that the possibilities of modifying the game will be much better than any Civ game to date.

I remember every modder ranting about the clumsiness of adding buildings, units, etc. If only that is better and the game doesn't suck, I'm ready to call it great
            "Give me a soft, green mushroom and I'll rule the world!" - TheArgh
            "No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy." - Murphy's law
            Anthéa, 5800 pixel wide extravaganza (french)

Comment

If only there game I want!

Do you guy know what I want? I want game like mix together "Civilization, StrongHold 2, Sim 2, Baldur's Gate, Sacred, Simcity 4, Dungeon Lords, Diablo 2, Morrowind, Total war: Rome" It's kind game based fantasy Medieval Role-Playing, Strategy, Simulations, and Action Games together in one.

Said you build Characters (The Sim 2 mix with Baldur's gate and Morrowind background class Diablo's Mana System, and Baldur's Gate and Morrowind' Magic System) with fighter hack move from (Dungeon Lords) and leveling up like Dungeon Lords there bug game however. Then Your Characters role-playing, action from footman to Knights to Duke to King or Emperer or evil way, then get land yourself build castles (from the Stronghold 2) Create your own Goverment and build your outpost, small village,build your own army and Bodyguard or knight or hosreman who stay and guard with you (your characters) while you role-playing, travel and command army to coquer (from theTotal War: Rome) to other house of Noble or nations, make Ally or enemy (from the Civilization). And your Characters can ride hosre or Dragon, (from Sacred) since most game dont make riding.

Well, that's my dearm game, but no body make those and I dont know how all C++ and it's cost lot of money for program!, I hope some who want to make game like this!

I think I should copy this I write and post every Company and maybe company willing make game like this, I know there Spellforce but not way I want however. Combat move look silly.

Comment

We'll all buy CivIV anyway; what does it matter if it's good?

Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                  We'll all buy CivIV anyway; what does it matter if it's good?

Maybe it doesn't matter for Firaxis; but it does matter to me. After all, it is my money invested on a thing which I hope will be fun.
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

It might be if all the fans are as into civ as the people in the Apolyton forums are. What mean is no matter how good Civ4 is I think in no time many in here will master the highest level (except me). Then comes the tweaking of AI files follwed by the flood of new mods to keep the game fresh. No mattter how long they work on Civ4 it will never be perfect. Fans are smarter at this game and it takes more to raise the bar.

Comment

It's a game. Waddya want for $50?
                      - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                      - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                      - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Well, I figured out once that if they continue to put out a Civ game every 5 years, and if I get my three score and ten (a big if), I should live to see Civ VIII. So, they have some time to get it right. I even made a thread 'list of ideas for Civ VIII' in the OT. For some reason they elected not to move it up here.

So, ever figure out what Civ edition you'll live to see? Any ideas on what you would like to see in the last Civ game before you croak?

I finally want to see canals.

Comment

@lancer: if they continue to put out a Civ game every 5 years
                          That's a big IF... it is made up of a lot of sub-ifs Take the longevity of Civ4, for ex: if it is as moddable as they say, it can increase its longevity drastically, and Firaxis may be able to ride on its wave for a while longer by making a series of high-profit expansion packs...

Which is one thing I'm definitely looking forward to! (and maybe they'll even add canals... )
                          "Give me a soft, green mushroom and I'll rule the world!" - TheArgh
                          "No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy." - Murphy's law
                          Anthéa, 5800 pixel wide extravaganza (french)

Comment

"sub-ifs"

Man, that is pure greatness. You are to be commended.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex

Maybe it doesn't matter for Firaxis; but it does matter to me. After all, it is my money invested on a thing which I hope will be fun.
                              It should matter to whoever owns the franchise. We're almost certainly going to buy civ4, but if it sucks, they're going to lose a lot of potential buyers for civ5. They need to do it well so people are willing to have another go.

Comment

Working...
                              X