Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

News: Your units will speak the nations language.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News: Your units will speak the nations language.

Quoted from CivFanatics (which quoted from WorthPlaying).

Even better, when you click on a unit, it will respond in the language of your selected region, so it would be cool to know Mandarin if you choose to be Chairman Mao as the leader of your Chinese civilization. This feature really validates the concept of the game in the development of world history, as multiculturalism and the many languages of Earth are often overlooked in games targeted at North America. Who knows, maybe by the time Civ IV is released, it will also include a little tutorial to teach you what each unit is saying and how to say it.
    I like this feature, quite cool. Will remind me of Warcraft/Starcraft, where when you click on a unit, the unit responds with the appropriate personality.
    be free

will it give lesson s so you can understand what tey are saying?

but at least death cries are universal !
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

you should read the quote properly Platypus Rex
      be free

Comment

I LOVE this kind of immersive fluff!! Now all we need is for historical voice actors to read famous texts when you research something (like SMAC).
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This may cause me to leave on the audio portion of Civ a bit longer than any of the previous titles. I don't think I can ever again listen to Ode to Joy after having Civ2 play it over, and over and over and over and over and over again. :vomit:

Comment

I see a good reason for modding in secession for this.

Sire, the cities of xxxxx, yyyyyy and zzzzzz have rebelled against our attempts to force our language on their population. To say a quote, "we don't want those foreign-speaking soldiers from a king who can only speak gibberish to us". Shall we sent a severe punishment force?
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

In the beginning this is probably cool, but I believe I soon will turn off the sounds (or at least unit talk) in the game...
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

This is exactly the kind of little detail that I think hurt Civ3 so much. It lacked the ambience previous versions had. The wonder movies and civ2 advisors were especially good

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre2th
                  This is exactly the kind of little detail that I think hurt Civ3 so much. It lacked the ambience previous versions had. The wonder movies and civ2 advisors were especially good
                  Well, maybe the units will say things with Civ3-style, humoristic gamish stye
                  Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

I think Age of Kings had something similar, didn't it?
                    Formerly known as Masuro.
                    The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Yuh, AoK had unit sounds specific for each Civ. I still remember them!
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                        Yuh, AoK had unit sounds specific for each Civ. I still remember them!

Are you sure they where specific to each civ, rather than each "culture group"? I seem to remember them being the same among many different nations.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

They were most definitely not same for different civs, not in the original game. In the expansion, the Aztecs and Mayans had matching sounds, as well as Mongols and Huns, even though there were slight differences between Aztecs and Mayans. All of the original civs, though, had different sounds - with Goth and Teuton also only having minor differences.

Comment

A fun part will be mod-ing the sounds so the units say what we want them to.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

*clicks a Tank* "Next version of Yin will suck"
                              *clicks a Swordsman* "How dare you click Ming the Merciless?"

Comment

Working...
                              X