potato
    50.00%
    tomato
    19.23%
    garlic
    30.77%
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Potato is a good choice as its a staple food of so many, and of course the Irish will testify to there difficulties when the Potato crop failed causing famine throughout the Island.

not sure about tomato or garlic though.

are you thinking bonus resources here as with wheat game etc ?
    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

gaaaaahlic.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

The New World is certainly responsible for a food revolution in the Old- where would Italy be without the tomato, India without chilies, and Africa without corn and peanuts ?

I'd certainly have preferred to have seen more variety in spices- cloves, pepper, nutmeg, vanilla, ginger, cardamom, saffron, cinnamon- reflecting the vast amounts spent by European nations to purchase them, and the roles played by Arab, Iranian and Indian and Chinese merchants in purveying them.

A greater variety of finished goods would also be an idea- given that individual cities have given us such terms as Murano glass, damask, muslin, raffia, organdie, denim, calico, Toledo steel, Iznik ware, and so on.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Mmmmm. I like Jaffa oranges.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Tomato. Definitely tomato
            Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

BANANA!
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Bananas are in, doh!
                Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

I'd certainly have preferred to have seen more variety in spices- cloves, pepper, nutmeg, vanilla, ginger, cardamom, saffron, cinnamon- reflecting the vast amounts spent by European nations to purchase them, and the roles played by Arab, Iranian and Indian and Chinese merchants in purveying them.
                  Maybe pick a favorite fruit to represent all fruit
                  same with peppers...etc, etc

and how could I forget to include coca in the poll

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                    BANANA!
                    I understand you, Ninot.
                    RIAA sucks
                    The Optimistas
                    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Considering that the lowly potato literally doubled Europe's food production on the same amount of cultivated land it should have a huge impact.

Corn made a big difference but was a replacement for other grains. Potatos were cultivated in addition to grains, on every third year when they used to leave the land fallow. Calories/acre are double that of stock grains. They could also be left in the ground, so that passing troops could not raid stockpiles.
                      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

can you say potato
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ive heard of a Banana republic, but if we were to say Garlic Republic, I wonder which Republic would come to mind

Actually, Onions/Rice are pretty much the staples for India, along with peas/beans .. I was there when Onions ran out a few years back and people were breaking into shops, stealing the onions, and leaving the cash in the counter.

Anyway, I think Food is food .. unless it conveys some special significance, I don't think it should be a special resource.
                          "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

I think Potatoe so we can have anothe great VP to look upon as a possible leeder

Real American Heroes

Dan Quayle this potatoe is for you you slaughtererer of da emglish lunguige
                            Attached Files
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                              can you say potato
                              Hmm... Platypus Rex, may I use this pic?
                              RIAA sucks
                              The Optimistas
                              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Working...
                              X