Great people, their occurence ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great people, their occurence ?

This question hasn't been answered yet I think. How does Great people appear in Civ 4. It's been said they are easier to have now.
    «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

That about sums it up AFAIK.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Shavim, Salim ? Whatever...

The guy from 1Up.com who did the last CivIV interview dropped by in the Civ Fanatics forum and answered a lot of questions. Talking about how Great people appear, he said that he couldn,t really remember what the Firaxis guy said exactly but he thought the answer was that cities with very high culture production would spawn a great artist from time to time, same things goes with cities with high economic values (Great merchants...)
      «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

... high culture production would spawn a great artist from time to time, same things goes with cities with high economic values (Great merchants...)

Yes, leading to city specialization. If you want great people to appear more often, you will trash the concept of having generic cities.
        From one of the older previews, actually.

Comment

My cities are usually generic. Guess I'll have to break a few paradigms with Civ4 (which is what they may be intending).
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Damn them and their attempts to change tried and true techniques!
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Im looking forward to these concepts and seeing how they play out in the game.

SGL were a welcome addition to civ 3 conquests as they reduced the unbalancing effects of MGL's but IMHO SGL's are also too powerful in C3C.

The AI needs to make better use of these leaders in CIV than it has in Civ3 and its expansions.
              A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
                Im looking forward to these concepts and seeing how they play out in the game.
                I hope they play out alright before the game is out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                  ... high culture production would spawn a great artist from time to time, same things goes with cities with high economic values (Great merchants...)

Yes, leading to city specialization. If you want great people to appear more often, you will trash the concept of having generic cities.
                  From one of the older previews, actually.

Wouldn't it then make sense for the same 'great cities' to produce more than one type of great person at the same time ?

Because clearly cities such as Prague, Venice, London, Istanbul, Shanghai, Cairo and Berlin would be capable of producing outstanding researchers-scientists, merchants, painters, engineers, generals, and so on.

For instance, the London that produced Christopher Wren and Daniel Defoe also simultaneously produced Newton, Locke and Aphra Behn, and Florence could have Medici bankers, Bramante and Michaelangelo at the same time.
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

molly b, I am sure such 'great cities' may develop in the game, but it may take awhile. How about 4-to-5 months from now and some EPIC games (I could do without the 4-5 months, but epic games on larger maps are for me)!

Comment

I do like this idea

Here is why:

I dont allways want to war sometimes I want an Epic game with a huge/Gigantic map and interacting with lots of civs not necessarily meeting and then the rest of game is war

I like the idea that you spawn or produce great people afterall we are "playing" civ and in this we should be able to be a cultural leader, an economic leader or science leader..

I think multiple leaders/ people is sweet
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I think cities should be able to stop being "great cities", too (if it was put in the game).

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          I think cities should be able to stop being "great cities", too (if it was put in the game).
                          you may have something there kuci

what would make this occur?

too much power resorted to corrupt govt heads for the city?

Comment

After the barbarians destroyed the last of Rome's aquaducts the city dropped from half a million to 50k, and never rose above 80k until modern times. Nobody had the political will and power to rebuild them for centuries.

I have long thought that loss of Aquaduct should incur steep pop penalties. People just don't live without water supply. I'd make cities drop 1 size per turn or something.
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                              After the barbarians destroyed the last of Rome's aquaducts the city dropped from half a million to 50k, and never rose above 80k until modern times. Nobody had the political will and power to rebuild them for centuries.

I have long thought that loss of Aquaduct should incur steep pop penalties. People just don't live without water supply. I'd make cities drop 1 size per turn or something.
                              for how long?

If a size 12 city had an aqueduct would you say have it go to a 6 before stopping this carnage and mass exodus?

Thanks and I agree, great idea

Gramps

Comment

Working...
                              X