Saladin? bad idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saladin? bad idea

I just read in the the german site civilized.de that Saladin would be an arab leader... But (I just checked in on Wikipedia) he was kurdish! And even if he sure had a lot to with arab history - that's not quite the same! I think we hear enough about it every day in the news... So, please, folks at Firaxis, don't do that! It's not only historically wrong, it's really a bad idea.

Kurdish or not, was he not the leader of the muslims that drove the Christians out of Jersulam after the first Crusade and then fought Richard the Lionheart to a standstill? If my history is correct then why would he not make a good leader for the Arabs?
    Texas is the greatest country in the world!

Historical Rants and Philosophical Dilemmas
    http://www.geocities.com/jeff_roberts65/

Comment

have to disagree he was a truly great leader of Islam and therefore a great leader of the Arabs
      A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

He was the leader of the Arabic peoples during the Crusades, so I think he's alright. After all the English encompases people from the Angles, Saxons and Jutes.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Arab and Islam are not the same thing. I think most Muslims in the world are now not ethnically Arab. The nation with the most Muslims is Indonesia; I think India is second. That would be like saying Constantine was a great leader of the Jews because Christianity came from Judaism.

Comment

Alexander wasn't even Greek, yet he has always been the Greek leader .
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Hmm... That's a good point. I wonder how distant the Macedonians were from the Greeks vs. how distant the Kurds are from Arabs.

Comment

I hope Saladin looks like a bad ass.

Can't have all the leaders looking cute.
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Both are pairs of different nationalities. It's similar really.

Alexander is a Macedonian who led the Greeks, and Macedonians were close to Greeks, but differnet.
                  Saladin is a Kurd who led the Arabs, and the Kurds were close to Arabs, but also different.

OTOH, Macedon was a Greek state, I don't know if Kurds lived in states of arab countries or not.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Good old Salah ad-Din was a Kurd who led an Arab empire. That makes him a leader of the Arabs, if not an Arab leader.
                    Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

Hitler wasn't german, Schwarzenegger isn't american and McCain isn't a republican. I say leave Saladin in.
                      Do you believe in Evil? The Nefarious Mr. Butts
                      The continuing saga of The Five Nations
                      A seductress, an evil priest, a young woman and The Barbarian King

Comment

McCain didnt he invent oven chips ?
                        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                          I hope Saladin looks like a bad ass.

Can't have all the leaders looking cute.
                          I think I saw a pic of him the other day, I'll check if I can find it again.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Here, this seems to be him.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Macedonia was not a Greek State. The Macedonians were nearby barbarians who overran the various city states of Greece and then over time adopted the Greek culture. Following the conquest of Greece, the Macedonians were admired by the Greeks, especally the Spartans, for their military strength.

The Kurdish homeland is much further away from Arabia than the Macedonians were to Greece. Both the Arabs and Kurds originated as barbarbians, the Arabs from Saudi Arabia, and the Kurds had settled in what's now Eastern Turkey / Northern Iraq / North western Iran after having fled the Mongolian tribes in Central Asia. It's no particular suprize that the leader of the muslium army defending Jersuleum from King Richard and the 3rd Crusade was a Kurd. By then, there was more non-arabs in the Muslium army than arabs. In fact the Kurds were probably the best fighters at the time in the muslium empire; the Turks hadn't yet arrived in the Middle East.

Originally posted by Solver
                              Both are pairs of different nationalities. It's similar really.

Alexander is a Macedonian who led the Greeks, and Macedonians were close to Greeks, but differnet.
                              Saladin is a Kurd who led the Arabs, and the Kurds were close to Arabs, but also different.

OTOH, Macedon was a Greek state, I don't know if Kurds lived in states of arab countries or not.
                              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                              Templar Science Minister
                              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                              X