Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone else afraid of a PC and appeal to the masses cIV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lack of terrorism is not really a big deal, we can always simulate it with barbarians via mods.

Comment

it looks to me that they (firaxis) is trying to hard to not offend anyone and thus leave a lot of cool stuff (like civil war and terrorist actions) out of the game and down playing new cool stuff (religion mostly). i am kinda afraid this will screw up with the game
      Then I suppose look forward to the promised modding capabilities - allowed by the use of Python and XML. Then people will come up with all sorts of Racist and other taboo features.

It's rather smart really for Firaxis to NOT try to offend anyone. Instead, let the community deal with political un-correctness.
      http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Why is France a Civ.?

Comment

Yeah, I can see a Fascism mod, a mod which gives religions bonuses and such coming out very soon .
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Mass-market oriented:
          I think that a Civ game should also be made for the masses, as it CAN be made fairly well for both by including everything in a simple way. Simple systems, elegant systems, can permit this feat. There are of course certain limits, but Firaxis did not seem to be oriented towards dumbing down from previous version but rather to go toward this road of including more in a simple AND COHERENT way (thus "elegance" of systems which work and are simple).
          Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

My only problem with 'modding in' traits for religions as that I don't think that works either-we NEED a Religion System which sits between Generic and Traits-based. If we could mod a system whereby traits are 'acquired' based on the civ traits and civic settings of its founder, then I would be VERY HAPPY indeed.
            As for removing unfun elements, by the sound of it what they have replaced it with (health for pollution and corruption) sounds a lot better-i.e. it will REALLY challenge players, but not in a way that requires incessent micromanagment (now, if only they would do the same to missionaries, spies and workers !)
            I hope they have included civil war this time-as it makes perfect sense to have it in, and I do hope some kind of 'unconventional warfare' system is either in-or can be put in!
            EDIT: Oh, another thing I think they are doing is that, by opening up most-if not ALL-of the game to the modding community, they CAN market a game to the masses, but which can be altered at great depth for the more die-hand fans (not mentioning any names.... )
            Yours,
            Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Well, they dared put Fascism in C3C - I don't think they'll be overly concerned with PCcy.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by KyuuA4
                Then I suppose look forward to the promised modding capabilities - allowed by the use of Python and XML. Then people will come up with all sorts of Racist and other taboo features.
                You won't be able to do this with Python (just scripting and UI stuff) or XML (just editing things like units, etc) - rather, you'd compile a dll with new code.

Comment

In any case, those of us who simply can't learn new languages are messed up...I hope they incude any editor similar to the one in C3C.
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Python's really easy. C isn't very difficult.

Comment

You really have no idea how bad I am with languages, be it french or C.

Althought I must admit I have never gone through any comprehensive tutorials for programming languages/code for longer than a few hours. I always failed the first lesson that came up
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Learning a programming language is much different and much simpler than learning a human language.

Comment

Originally posted by DerSchwarzfalke
                          I am unsure what their logic is in leaving civil wars out. Who is going to be offended by a civil war?
                          I don't think it is a matter of offending someone, it is that generally most people don't like the gameplay aspect of civil wars. To most people, spending 5 hours building up your civ only to have a random event (or whatever) take away half of your empire is simply not what you would call a fun game element.
                          "Slander, lies, character assassination--these things are a threat to every single citizen everywhere in this country. And when even one American--who has done nothing wrong--is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril" - Harry S. Truman, Address at the Dedication of the New Washington Headquarters of the American Legion, August 14, 1951

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by DerSchwarzfalke
                            I am unsure what their logic is in leaving civil wars out. Who is going to be offended by a civil war?
                            That has nothing to do with PC. It's just generally hard to implement civil wars in a fun, believable way.

Comment

That is a more legitimate point, though I would still like to see their inclusion in some contexts.
                              Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

Code it in yourself

Comment

Working...
                                X