Converting cities to your religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting cities to your religion

I've seen cities converting in both cIV E3 videos.
    Both of the times it was in fact quiet simple, move a prophet into the city, and the city is being converted.

I think that's a little bit easy.
    I hope that in real this will be a little bit more complicated. Like a city needs time to be converted. And a prophet only can hurry the speed a city is converting at, or something.

Just walking around with prophets and converting city after city doesn't sound that fun to me.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

I imagine there will be a standard way that is both slower and more in depth to converting a city. After all, you cannot produce prophets as if they were units, so using one to hurry along the conversion of a city would be a nice little treat after investing a huge amount of resources into other intransigent cities.

I wonder if conversion will be similar to EU2, where a failure to convert the province would lead to an immediate revolt. There should be some sort of initial penalty to conversion attempts, such as a decrease in happiness, decrease in production, increase in revolt, etc. Of course, the penalty cannot be enough to outweigh the benefit of having the city be the national religion.

I wonder: will there be minority religions in your civ, or will that be too in depth to model?
    Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

I imagine there will be a standard way that is both slower and more in depth to converting a city. After all, you cannot produce prophets as if they were units, so using one to hurry along the conversion of a city would be a nice little treat after investing a huge amount of resources into other intransigent cities.

Actually, the standard Missionaries are built as units. And from what I know, they aren't supposed to convert a city entirely and immediately, so that should not be an issue. They apparently indeed speed up the spread of religion or something.

I wonder: will there be minority religions in your civ, or will that be too in depth to model?

It's in... sort of. If you are a Judaist civ, but you just conquered several Christian cities, then Christianity will become a minority religion within your civ. Likely, the Christians will be less content than the Judaists, and this will also have some international effect.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

It's even possible that in one city more religions are present. I imagine as in the cIIIv population thing.
        YOu could have 3 egyptians 2 persians and 4 germans in one city. When you attacked the german civ the 4 german citizen became uncontent.

Comment

What do we know about missionaries? Can you only work them with minority religions within your own civilization, or can they spread the word of God across the earth? If so, is there a way to counter enemy missionaries?
          Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

Each civ can build missionaries specific to its religion. They definitely work against foreign cities. Don't know about own cities, though.

Comment

I hope that the easiest way will still be by military means.
              http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Why is France a Civ.?

Comment

I wonder if it will be possible to halt the spreading of a 'foreign' religion in your own cities (meaning a prophet/monk from another religion paid it a visit), or even outright reduce it by hammering The Word again and again 'till the last vestiges of the intruding religion are gone.

In game terms: taking away the line of sight another civ has on your own cities.
                He who knows others is wise.
                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Probably it's possible. Maybe even by the means of the culture slider.

However, if all the AI gets is LOS on a city of yours, is it really effective enough to help the AI any?

Comment

I wonder if it is possible to resist religion in general for the entire game?

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Given the importance they are giving to the new religious aspect of the game, I do not think it would be advisable to do so. You will probably be putting yourself at a severe disadvantage.

Unless my favored secular option is available.

Comment

Originally posted by KyuuA4
                        I hope that the easiest way will still be by military means.
                        Works for me too.
                        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                        2004 Presidential Candidate
                        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

theres gonna be hella micromanagement with these missionaries. they got rid of the caravan and now they added this, so they are back to square one.
                          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

and the with the unit upgrades, how are you supposed to know what the other guys units have in terms of upgrades? are you gonna click on each and every one of them to see?
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I like the idea of missionairies.
                              This way even during peace times you can have your 'war'. Not walking around with soldiers, but with missionairies, to try to expand your influence as much as possible.

units have always been micromanagement.
                              Caravans were non-fun micromanagement because it didn't really came with visual improvements. You only saw your annual income being raised. This goes further then that.

Comment

Working...
                              X