Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will we have to choose between wonders and terrain improvments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we have to choose between wonders and terrain improvments?

If wonders are on the main map, does it mean that if you choose to build a wonder on a given tile, you can't build (or can build less) terrain improvements on that same tile? (Assuming you can't have both)
    Last edited by Nostromo; May 31, 2005, 20:47.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

I'm assuming wonders are part of the city graphics, nothing to do with a single tile.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I don't know, look at this screenshot

You see what looks like the Taj Mahal on the right? It seems to occupy a tile, no?
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Here it is:
        Attached Files

Comment

I don't think so. It actually looks like it is part of the city graphic. If you look at Cherokee, it has what looks like a Mosque.

Hmm... looking closely, the Islamic sign has a yellow star in Hastings as opposed to a green star in Cherokee. Perhaps that is the sign for a Religious holy city (and the Taj Ma Hal graphic is like the Dome of the Rock in Mecca?)
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Yes, the star on the Islamic sign indicates that Hastings is the Holy City for that Religion. But the Taj Mahal is one of the Wonders of the World, it has nothing to do with the religion of the city.
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Bleh, I don't like these trendy unit graphics.
              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

To me it doesn't look like a wonder will occupy a tile. It looks like the wonders will simply be a part of the city's graphics.

The borders = Yuck!
                Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Will there be a limit as to the number of wonders a city can build then?
                  http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Why is France a Civ.?

Comment

Originally posted by Mace
                    To me it doesn't look like a wonder will occupy a tile. It looks like the wonders will simply be a part of the city's graphics.
                    That appears to be the case. Putting a Great Wonder on a mere tile wouldn't make sense.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

That appears to be the case. Putting a Great Wonder on a mere tile wouldn't make sense.
                      Well, big ones like the Pyramids should be placed on a mere tile - where a worker's job would be to maintain it.

Then the Great Wall of China... that should span several squares.
                      http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Why is France a Civ.?

Comment

I seriously doubt the wonders/improvements will have to compete with terrain improvements. That would be a PR suicide. Now, if there was an additional bonus to the tile the wonder was situated, f.ex. a trade bonus for tourism, it wouldn't be bad.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

From the look of it I agree that it seems to be on the same tile as the city itself
                          I wonder if there's a limit to how many wonders a city can have then? Obviously it's not room for that many wonders

Also in an interview they mention that city improvements (likes barracks) will also be viewable on the map
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mace
                            The borders = Yuck!
                            I hope the graphics for the borders will chance before release, but I doubt it

And please get rid of the brown color for a civ, on the screenshot with a brown-colored civ it was almost impossible to see where the borders were because the ground is brown too

EDIT:

I didn't notice that the above screenshot also has some of the brown civs borders
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Probably there is no limit on the number of wonders in a city.

More likely, if a city has, say, 3-4 wonders, only ONE or TWO of them will show on the map view. ?? Just a thought...

Or maybe you have to zoom in so far to see all of the wonders and buildings? We'll just have to wait n see...
                              Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Working...
                              X