Simple "Supply" System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

How is that fun? So now you just send a supply unit with your stacks. Whoop-de-do.

now throw in a max range

Scenario:
    I see an iron deposit +10 squares away, A rival civ is as far to go. We both want it. Yes we could both send units to fortify, but when you build, you can demand troops leave your territory.

Yes a big change to how we would all play.
    I give it

Food for thought:
    Why not have the supply unit just beeing the cash you pay to extend the range
    Last edited by Addled Platypus; June 6, 2005, 20:26.
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

now throw in a max range

At which point all the fun out of early exploration is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
        OK, several key points:

Operational Range vs. Disband Chance:

Ancient Foot and Mounted Units have the lowest Operational Range, but the second smallest chance of disbanding-per square outside their OR (Scouts have the lowest).
        I'm highly unlikely to send units outside the OR even with a small chance. If it's very early game exploration, that warrior is a big investment. If it's early war, I'm not going to risk losing a chunk of my attack force.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
          Food for thought:
          Do you mean pay extra upkeep on units that are outside their operating range? That could be an option instead of just disbanding or damaging the unit. For instance, if a unit is outside its OR, its upkeep could be doubled. If it's outside 2x the OR, upkeep could be tripled. Etc.

If that's not what you meant then...
          "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by Xorbon

Do you mean pay extra upkeep on units that are outside their operating range? That could be an option instead of just disbanding or damaging the unit. For instance, if a unit is outside its OR, its upkeep could be doubled. If it's outside 2x the OR, upkeep could be tripled. Etc.

A system along those lines would be excellent!

Comment

Yep, that is an excellent compromise system that I would be more than happy with. In addition, though, if the extra maintainance costs of units outside their OR outstrip your budget, then those units should either have a combat penalty and/or be at risk of being disbanded.

Yours,
              Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Originally posted by Xorbon

EXACTLY

Quote Kuciwalker

No...just delayed
                Last edited by Addled Platypus; June 6, 2005, 23:25.

Comment

"Quote Kuciwalker

No...just delayed"

As it should be.

Anyway, forget Operational range for a sec. How about just multiplying maintence cost for any unit outside the boarders. This "multiplier" can be affected by social engineering choices (like in SMAC).

Early on it would be high (to make sure the player doesn't move to many units outside his boarders - thus slowing exploration. Later on as the game progresses, the player can select 'warmonger' type gov't settings that lower his cost to a 0 multiplier.

Comment

I think that Operational Ranges are important as they differentiate exploratory and Spec Ops units from more standard and/or high maintainance unit types.

Yours,
                    Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

many entertaining thoughts going on here...

thank you one and all
                      The_Aussie_Lurker
                      MattPilot
                      Xorbon
                      Mace
                      alms66
                      Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by MattPilot
                        Anyway, forget Operational range for a sec....
                        I'm inclined to agree with Aussie on this one, OR is just too important to distinguish exploration units and others unless, of course, there was a flag for "half" maintenance or something (perhaps even just a percentage of maintenance for each unit). This flag could be toggled for scouts and other units that deserve reduced maintenance.

Comment

Food for thought:
                          I thought of doing this at first, instead of disbanding since it is a reasonable idea. It just seems to me that some people (myself included, at least some of the time) might find it a bit of a headache to have to figure out which units can move where based on their current costs for maintenence... too much MM involved, IMO.

-Edit-
                          It also takes out the possiblity of disrupting the supply lines.

Comment

Originally posted by alms66

-Edit-
                            It also takes out the possiblity of disrupting the supply lines.
                            why worry about the supply lines, just capture he unit

Comment

why worry about the supply lines, just capture he unit
                              By having supply units on the map, you can kill the supply unit & disrupt supply. If there were no such units and maintenance was increased for units outside of borders only (I assumed that's what you meant anyhow), then you have no possibility of cutting off supply. The maintenance of units would simply continue to rise as long as the civ can afford it.

Comment

Quote Kuciwalker

No...just delayed
                                You're missing the point. What am I supposed to do in my beginning turns?

Comment

Working...
                                X