What happened to Firaxis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Firaxis?

Soren seems to think "less micromanagement" is a good thing, specifically with regards to removing corruption. How can he think that yer average TBS player wants less micromanagement and not more? The all time great Firaxis game, Alpha Centauri, was the best precisely because it allowed huge amounts of micromanagement. Civ III was a massive backward step, dumbing down to an incredible degree. Don't they learn from their mistakes?

Speaking of mistakes, can't they get a real graphics design team? More of the same stupid Civ III cartoon graphics, makes it look like Stan Lee bought the company and created Marvelization.

Has anyone heard anything to indicate that one day we might see another genius release, an Alpha Centauri II (even if it is set in the Civ Line of games)?
    Last edited by Fitz; May 24, 2005, 21:56.
    Fitz. (n.) Old English
    1. Child born out of wedlock.
    2. Bastard.

Yes, they are.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Micromanagement, per se, is not neccessarily a good thing. For instance, I fail to see how moving 50 workers each turn is a good thing, if you could simply assign the tile improvements you want built. Civ4 apparently still has enough stuff you can manage if you want to.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Your post is funnier if you read it with the Comic Book Guy voice from the Simpsons.

Relax. I didn't particularly enjoy moving my stack of workers from polluted square to polluted square in the endgame. Building roads and irrigation was ok, because you're deciding the placement of those things.

Their point is to remove the busywork and let you play the game, and I applaud them for that.
        ----
        "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Mahdimael
          Your post is funnier if you read it with the Comic Book Guy voice from the Simpsons.
          Hey, good idea. It is funnier. =)

Less micromanagement was used in regards to corruption as well as pollution. I can see yer issue with having to move huge stacks of workers every turn though.

I'm just annoyed because Civ 3 was a huge step back in flexibility from SMAC. They removed unit options, government options, and building options. They put in cartoonish graphics. They made a dumbed down game that was like watching a train wreck. And it looks like they are trying to do it again.
          Fitz. (n.) Old English
          1. Child born out of wedlock.
          2. Bastard.

Comment

Nah, it does look like they are actually putting more options in Civ4. Like the promotion and civics stuff.

They referred to removing unfun elements like corruption and pollution. Pollution was, indeed, horrible in Civ3. Wasted your time and didn't do anything to the gameplay. Corruption wasn't much better either.

Comment

*cof* *cof* SMAC is SMAC and CIV is CIV. Dont compare. They have added nice features and removed or tweaked nasty ones like pollution and corruption.
              Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

Is Fitz stupid?

Comment

No personal attacks please, guys -- not on Firaxis, not on each other. It's fine if you disagree but that's no reason to start bashing.
                  Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

They made enough cash-money from civ3 despite it being steaming turds, i wouldnt call that stupid.
                    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                      No personal attacks please, guys -- not on Firaxis, not on each other. It's fine if you disagree but that's no reason to start bashing.
                      I agree with Darth Moderator about personal attacks between members of Apolyton, it's useless.

When it comes to attacks against Firaxis, I don't care. It's just some kind of... rhetoric. By telling that they are a bunch of a s s h o l e s, the initiator of this thread just wanted to make clear, in an affectionate way, that he disagreed with them about ways and means to make an enjoyable game. That's all.

And when we say that Apolyton managers are a bunch of ****, what happens ?
                      M. le Comte

Comment

You get banned and your house gets destroyed by a cruise missile from either Thessaloniki or Ontario.

Comment

you mean that Greece actually has Cruise Missiles? Then why did Markos spend a year with the artillery?
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by M. le Comte
                              When it comes to attacks against Firaxis, I don't care.
                              a) They are people too, they deserve the same kind of respect the rest of us deserve. Maybe even a little bit more, as they go out and actually make games, something most of us here have yet to proof we are capable of (yours truly included).

b) Would you like them to stop coming here altogether? (Which indicentally, many of them already have)

Don't get me wrong, contructive criticism is fine. You can disagree with their choices, point out their mistakes, even call them bad designers (if you can back it up). Believe me, I've done all of those things in excess myself. But there's no need for namecalling. Not only is it disrespectful, it just invalidates what might otherwise be a perfectly valid point...

in an affectionate way
                              A fan of tough love, I see...

Essentially the same thing that happens when you say that of anyone else: depending on the context, usually you first get a warning or two, but if you keep it up you eventually get banned. But believe me, the owners and mods of Apolyton (particularly the OT) put up with a hell of a lot more abuse directed against themselves than they tolerate when it's directed against others.
                              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X