What would you do for being one of the '60'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do for being one of the '60'

Aye. If there is a single spot available for the regular user, not the hardcore (although we are kinda all hardcore civ fans), what would you do to get it?
    Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Not much . Not being a beta-tester saves you the surprise and does a lot of other good things. The only reason to be a beta tester is that your feedback matters to the developers, but then again, I believe Firaxis takes all our suggestions somewhat seriously. Hey, they read the List.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I'd... fill out an application form. If that weren't enough, I'd be content with waiting to see the polished game and not spoiling the surprise, like Solver said.
      XBox Live: VovanSim
      xbox.com (login required)
      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
      Spore page

Comment

I don't think there will ever be a place in a beta test team for a regular guy. If I understand correctly, the beta testers are trying to sort the game out so that it works, ie easy enough to pick up for n00bs, but challenging for the top level players ie Aeson, Dominae etc. Shouldn't they be playng a couple of hundred games, seaching for problems in the programming (an example from civ3 being that the AI used to sell really useless towns to the player, and the towns wold generate defenders that the player could then use).

As Solver says, the developers almost certainly listen to the suggestions of the regular player through boards such as these, so it's not like we are just ignored.
        Last edited by Krill; May 24, 2005, 11:38.
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Yeah... beta-testers don't really get to have fun with the game. For them playing the game is work and, moreover, they are not playing a complete game, they're playing a game with many bugs, unfinished AI, some feautures not working at all, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
            Yeah... beta-testers don't really get to have fun with the game. For them playing the game is work and, moreover, they are not playing a complete game, they're playing a game with many bugs, unfinished AI, some feautures not working at all, and so on.
            It all depends on what you consider fun. I've beta tested many games, including C3C, and had fun in a lot of cases, because finding what I think is a problem, and then seeing it fixed is fun.
            Spore page

Comment

What I'd do? Not much. I want the fun part of the game. Besides, I seriously doubt I'd be of any help, not being overly technichal and such.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                What I'd do? Not much. I want the fun part of the game. Besides, I seriously doubt I'd be of any help, not being overly technichal and such.
                I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by vovan

It all depends on what you consider fun. I've beta tested many games, including C3C, and had fun in a lot of cases, because finding what I think is a problem, and then seeing it fixed is fun.
                  In this case... the beta testers started a year ago. That isn't, IMHO, fun, because it was a very unfinished product then. I've also beta tested some, but those were games close to release - generally around the same time the magazines start getting previews, so maybe 3 months before it hits the shelves. Then it's a working game.

But of course, I do hope that the Civ4 betaing experience is enjoyable .

Comment

In this case... the beta testers started a year ago. That isn't, IMHO, fun, because it was a very unfinished product then. I've also beta tested some, but those were games close to release - generally around the same time the magazines start getting previews, so maybe 3 months before it hits the shelves. Then it's a working game.
                    Right, right, but you gotta remember that they "handpicked" the "hardcore" players, who probably enjoy balancing the game. I mean just look at all the bean counters around here that are after balancing Civ3. I'm sure they are enjoying it, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. Similarly, I'm sure people can enjoy this.

That said, a whole year is a bloody long time! The closest I've ever come was an 8 month beta, and boy, did I feel sick of the game by the end of it.
                    Spore page

Comment

But of course, I do hope that the Civ4 betaing experience is enjoyable .
                      I bet it is, certailny closer to the release date. Getting to meet those guys in PBEMs, now that will be enjoyable. And terrifying.
                      Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Right, right, but you gotta remember that they "handpicked" the "hardcore" players, who probably enjoy balancing the game. I mean just look at all the bean counters around here that are after balancing Civ3. I'm sure they are enjoying it, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. Similarly, I'm sure people can enjoy this.

Balancing is one thing, having a working game is a different one. It's obvious that last summer there were a ton of feautures in Civ4 that didn't work at all or worked very poorly - simply because the programming wasn't nearly done. And so, while issues such as overpowered units could be visible back then, playing that game would probably constitute much less fun. Imagine if the diplomacy only worked sometimes, there were a couple of nasty bugs elsewhere, and the AI could barely cope with the game. Then, if you play such a game every day, it does quickly become work and not fun.

However, I would obviously absolutely love to test the game in its current state, as it now should be functional and done for the most part, but there's still time to point out specific gameplay/AI problems and to change them.

Comment

I wouldn't mind being a beta tester. You would have to be patient though... putting up with CTD (crashes to desktop) in 1850 AD after you'd spent hours building your civ up...and forgot to save but in 1460 AD...with no autosave on.
                          Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Nothing.

I already have a career.

and a wife.

both of which preclude time for such enterprises.

And I want the "finished" product

Comment

asleep said what I was about to post...

job + wife + kids = only enough time for PBEMs and the occassional SP

Additionally, I would decline being one of the 60 as there are many other more serious civ gamers that are more deserving.
                              Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Working...
                              X