Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I legally allowed to upload the streaming E3 video from Gamespot ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I legally allowed to upload the streaming E3 video from Gamespot ?

I'm using Linux , and mplayer allows me to dump the raw stream data to a file . I can use mencoder to convert the raw stream datas to another type of file , like wmv or QuickTime or some such .

Am I allowed to upload that here for people who have a slow internet connection , like me , but want to watch the movie ? Is it legal ?

Someone already did so in the E3 stuff thread. Didn't give it much thought but now that you mention it, I'm almost certain it's not allowed without Gamespot's permission. But I don't have time to deal with that issue right now so if anyone still needs it they better get it while they still can
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

maybe it is not allowed without gamespot's permission, but then the streaming video was freely available for anyone who wanted to see it...
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

That doesn't mean they don't own the copyrights to it anymore. As it is, you have to actually visit their site and watch their advertising (well, in some browsers anyway ) if you want to access the video. Ripping their stream would be violating their copyrights and denying them ad-income.
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Wimp.
          Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

I´m sure Gamespot wouldn´t object if you were to ask them. As long as it´s clear that the stream originates from Gamespot and they get credit for it.
            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I'm sure they would.

Comment

They would.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Why would they? They have nothing to loose by getting the whole of the Poly community to watch it. And they may get a lot more people visiting their site, looking for other stuff.

Comment

They would.

Comment

No, they would have a ton of people downloading and viewing their movie NOT from their site. Why do you think does it stream in the first place? Because they don't want people to download it.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

You might be on to something there...

Comment

Wimp wimp wimp! Join the Dark Side, mirror them!

Remember, the Dark Side is the easiest way to success!
                          Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                          X