Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential problem in religion-based diplomacy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential problem in religion-based diplomacy ?

From what I have been able to gather , an AI can ask you to convert as part of a deal .

Now , this means that you , too , should be able to ask for conversion in return for something else . This means that someone cas ask someone else to convert as part of a peace negotiation ( "Convert to Buddhism or else !" ) .

Now imagine that I make a scenario ( like the Crusades ) where the objective is to either convert or annex the other side ( this is possible due to the new customisability , at lease so I hope ) . Some people may deem this very offensive ( some of the thinner-skinned , PC obsessive people around the world ) . How does Firaxis plan to resolve this ?
    Last edited by aneeshm; May 22, 2005, 11:49.

I think the "PC obsessive" people will always find something offensive, regardless whether there are religion-based wars or not. Plus, I suppose the way they will resolve this is they won't provide any scenarios where the objective is to convert everybody to your religion, and if a fan makes such a scenario, then you can't technically blame Firaxis, can you?
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

So far, I can only see being politically correct hurting games. So if something in the game is un-PC, it will likely enhance gameplay options. A conversion agreement is a good thing for the gameplay, which is what matters.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The thin-skinned types can go and play Lemmings or something.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
        http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Let me make it clear that I want this option to be icnluded , and would have no problem if such a scenario was made ( in fact , I even would like to have terrorism/espionage options ) .

But imagine if some guy ( say the Secretary of State of the USA) went and played the game online , and he played with a guy from the Middle East ( say , another important person ) . and in the course of the game , he asked the player from the ME to convert to his religion , and some admin at the server that runs the online gaming service found this out and leaked it . We'd have an international incident , all thanks to cIV .

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
            We'd have an international incident , all thanks to cIV.
            So we would, I imagine.
            XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

What is PC?
              Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

Political Correctness (aka Political Crapspeak).
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Not to be confused with Personal Computer.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
                    The thin-skinned types can go and play Lemmings or something.

A shameful display of murdering poor, little lemmings.

However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Today the lemmings, tomorrow the thin-skinners!

Comment

Convert to the almighty god or be destroyed!

I like that Gathering converts at swordpoint is an age old tradition in most religions.
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                          Let me make it clear that I want this option to be icnluded , and would have no problem if such a scenario was made ( in fact , I even would like to have terrorism/espionage options ) .

But imagine if some guy ( say the Secretary of State of the USA) went and played the game online , and he played with a guy from the Middle East ( say , another important person ) . and in the course of the game , he asked the player from the ME to convert to his religion , and some admin at the server that runs the online gaming service found this out and leaked it . We'd have an international incident , all thanks to cIV .
                          I think Condoleeza has better things to do than play online-Civ. After all she´s playing the real thing 24/7...
                          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
                            Convert to the almighty god or be destroyed!

I like that Gathering converts at swordpoint is an age old tradition in most religions.
                            Resistance against such madness is fun also.

I look forward to playing a heretical, nuke-armed civ!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg

I think Condoleeza has better things to do than play online-Civ. After all she´s playing the real thing 24/7...
                              hehe
                              Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                              I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
                              X