Request for diplomatic option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for diplomatic option

How about being able to negotiate surrender terms such as "arms limitation".

For example... For you to accept a peace deal with another nation, they must agree to arms limitations. Say no more than 20 military units (# is of course negotiated by the player). If at any point this limit is being surpassed, both players get a heads up message. Should the limit be surpassed by more than XX%, the player who negotiated the arms limit is allowed to declare war without a reputation hit from other nations.

Taking it one step further... one should be able to select what type of category of units is not allowed to be built - like air units, naval units, mobile units, no nukes, etc...

Something like The allies did with germany after WW1 & 2... something like the US did with iraq. etc...

what ya think?

Seems like that would be fairly complex to implement... Both in terms of the UI, and game dynamics (not to mention teaching the AI to use this properly...).
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

I like the idea. =)

How about the reverse? , tell your allies, whats wrong with their army, when they go to war, or when they're planning to.

That sounds just as fun.

Comment

Complex? I see a simple way in a ratio. It's actually how it was done between US-British-Japan (before the First War I think?).

exemple:
        4:5 for navy, 3:3 terrestrial, 3:4 airborne, 0:0 nuclear

Manageable?
        Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Moot point. Wonder if the SDK would allow changes like this? Doubtful.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Well, if the UI and much of the game functionality is scripted in Python, as was mentioned somewhere, then it might be possible to do.
            XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

I like the idea in the OP. But I think it´s a bit off target for a game such as Civ. It´s not primarily a war game (even if many use it like one...)
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I like the idea that the treaty could limit you to a set number of units, for a set amount of turns.

If you try to build the unit, the menu option is ghosted out.

You could perhaps buy covert units from another AI,
                but at the risk of war from your original treaty partners.

It would be a nice option if the mod tools allow such things...
                http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

What about if your navy loses a ship?

What must the other player do then?

Kinda unbalanced this thing will be..

Amd what about if a faction signs peace with 2 other factions which both enforce some military limit on it?
                  It could eventually become into conflict.
                  -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                  -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Working...
                  X