When does beta-testing start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does beta-testing start?

I want to do my best not to miss it this time around, so how close to release did beta-testing start last time around? Also, how was it announced, how long was entrance open, and any other info you feel like throwing in. On their website it says that beta-testing is announced in the newsletter, so I signed up for it, but haven't gotten a single copy of it yet (should I sign up again?).

For any Firaxians who see this - start beta-testing early this time around, and be sure to put me on the list.
    Do it now!

Beta testing usually starts 3 months before the planned release. I think they gather beta testers 1 month before the actual beta testing. So if cIV is released around November, then beta gathering will start around July/August.

I'm speaking from experience, but I don't actually know what Firaxis' plan are.
    be free

Comment

Beta testing? Firaxis? MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I may be wrong but wasn't Civ3 beta testing by invitation only? Although that may have been for one of the expansion packs. I don't remember exactly.
        However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I don't think vanilla Civ3 had any public beta test, or they were good at keeping it secret. The expansion packs had some sort of beta teams selected by application. I'm not sure how long before release the betas took place, and don't remember when the application time was.
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

There was beta testing on invitation before civ3.
            Everyone could apply for beta testing, but Firaxis chose the actual testers. I think people had to be living in the states and had to be at least 18.

Some of the poly members actually became a part of the team, and dissapeared from the forums for a few months. They weren't allowed to speak about the game.
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

That sounds like the beta they did during the civ3 patching process.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                That sounds like the beta they did during the civ3 patching process.
                I'm 90% sure it happened during the pre-gold phase as well. I'll look if I can find more in the archives of poly.

Comment

ok, I found there was much debate on the question if there should be an open or closed public beta testing. Apparantly none was done.
                  I stand corrected.

Comment

Firaxis Beta Testing = Code, package and sell. Repeat.
                    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

From the Alpha Centauri manual :

We'd also like to thank profusely the 25 hardy volunteers who participated in our public beta test. Particularly considering that their only pay consisted of buggy early versions of the game, their enthusiasm and participation was outstanding. We'd never done a public beta test before, but let me tell you we're sold on the idea now, since doing one gave us a perspective on our product we could never have obtained in any other way. Among many other usefull suggestions, our beta testers insisted that we add diplomatic and economic victories , and yes, even the dreaded random events. Thanks to everyone who participated - you really made a difference.
                      So, at least in November 1998, they seemed enthousiastic about public beta tests. They also added a few features to the game because of the feedback. Although most players I know play without the random events and I've never seen an Economic victory, the Diplomatic victory is won a lot :-)
                      no sig

Comment

Let's hope they still have that same attitude.

Comment

Working...
                        X