Free trade agreements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free trade agreements

1- One thing which truly seems like a need to me is some form of "free trade agreement". At any time in history, there were ways to agree to make business easier between two, and to select the other as "preferencial partner". Both could get something out of it.

2- The only little "+" which I see would add so much to this is the aspect of making such agreements by puting the odds on your side And such a simple twist of making agreements has such a huge potential, should it be diplomatically, economically or geopolitically.

It brings to not attack a "business partner", it brings to better relations, it brings you to attack the other' business partner (), it can be a way to trick someone into being your vassal (or de facto ally), etc. Simply one such option in diplomacy (1) simple for the player and (2) powerful.
    Anyone sees why this would be a problem to include?
    Last edited by Trifna; April 24, 2005, 20:37.
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

The only problem is that the designers would have to make trade a lot deeper than it is in Civ 3. If they do improve the trade system, hopefully free trade would be a part of it!
    "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Well it does not need to come with an extensive trade system: just some economic bonus/malus seem basically ok.

Comment

Still, I'd really like to see the trade system expanded. The trade system in Civ 3 is very shallow.

I'm not saying they shouldn't or couldn't add it to the current system. I'm just saying that free trade in an expanded system would be much more meaningful.
        "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Well... You have X contacts with the other (economically), +X% to their rentability and +X% to their proportion in relation to other Civs.

Simple

Comment

The problem with 'free trade' agreements is that trade has until the last half of the last century not been really all that free.

And there's not that many things in Civ to trade anyways. In Civ 3, you have technologies, resources and gold.

If Free Trade is included, it would be best to include is as an abstract diplomatic option that would not become available until the modern age and it would add commerce bonuses to both Civilizations engaged in the trade.

Naturally of course some people who oppose free trade may feel it should have negative effects as well. But I'll leave that discussion to someone else.
            AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
            Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
            Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Well, you'd need to have some sort of drawback(s). Otherwise there'd be little reason to not have free trade with the entire world (except for your enemies of course).

Comment

Well there trade in Civ3 is essentially good for everyone, and usually the player, who pulls off a shrewd trade.

It can be argued a trade option like free trade, or perhaps remane it as 'trade agreement' to get away from the 'free trade' political debate is a reward for NOT being a warmonger. Civs could easily not want to trade with you if you've hurt them in the past. Warmongers are thus isolated in a position where they write-out these easy gold per turn as an option.

It probably wouldn't stop many warmongers, but it's a trade off for them and peaceniks get a reward.
                AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
                Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
                Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Working...
                X