Secret vs. Non-Secret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret vs. Non-Secret

I think that after the invention of "mass media" you would need to spend some time on protecting things you do from reaching foreign eyes and ears (and sometimes from your own citizens).

For instance, mass media would increase somwhat the discontent from a large number of military units or whatever. so you need to fortify those units in 'secret' installations (ie, distant forts / airfields). That way you could secretly develop nukes.

Also you should have an option to 'secrefy' things like wonders or science research, at the cost of extra funds.

That would prevent civil unrest and would make it more difficult (less chances / more cost) for enemy spies to discover what are you building.

Same thing should be considered for diplomacy - notice that today most diplomatic meetings and contacts, as well as pacts and deals signed between countries are public and widely covered in the news.

So I'm thinking that diplomatic contacts should be "announced" (to the player and to computer players) after mass media, but you could pay X money to have secret contacts.

That way you have a choise of waging a secret war against an enemy: You could remain in good contact with the Egyptians, while at the same time, secretly fund and supply the carthagians who are attacking them from the other flank. And if you don't pay for secrecy there is an increased chance the Egyptians will hear of this.

In fact I think that this is something that should exist before the mass medias also, but the mass medias simply make things harder. Still, even secrecy has its leaks.
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

I like this concept

Small Wonder: Propaganda % of what you want to spend to spin the media

this has potenial, what other game could pull this off?
      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

GalCiv2?... I already includes support of other civs and so on, but its developers already have the burden of pull off quite a load of inovative features.

Comment

Re: Secret vs. Non-Secret

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
          I think that after the invention of "mass media" you would need to spend some time on protecting things you do from reaching foreign eyes and ears (and sometimes from your own citizens).
          But what is the upside? I like the idea of techs, wonders, improvements, etc. that have downsides as well as upsides (like factories which increase production but produce pollution) but don't see the point of a tech which only has a downside, other than possibly being required for other techs. Did I miss a discussion of teh benefits of "mass media"?
          The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

The concept isn't restricted to mass medias. And even if it would, mass medias still have some very serious upsides (think "TV" and "newspapers": it's the Information Era ).

The mass medias simply make it harder to keep things hidden from the public, and this includes secret or not-too-well-known arrangements between States.

Comment

Yes, good. Maybe secrecy should include don't show wonder initiation pop- ups.

Maybe you should not have full access to civ entries for advances that you didn't researched, things that you can't build, etc. In real world civs didn't knew what should they research. This can also be "secrecy".
              "We, civilizations, now know that we are mortals...", Paul Valéry

Comment

Working...
              X