Civ IV addition for Alpha Centauri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ IV addition for Alpha Centauri

I think when the ship successfully lands that you should be able to go into a Alpha Centauri type game. The winner of the game would be the first to make so many colonies on the new star planet.

I'm hoping for a SMAC sequel with CIV engine.

Comment

They better include a quickly remade 32-bit version of Civ1 for free with Civ4.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Leland: Your prayers be fulfilled. May you rejoice, be blessed and see your wish come true... for I can't do otherwise than wait expectedly when such an opportunity is showing its nose

Solver: Would you be nostalgic?
        Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Wouldn't you like the Test Of Time Extended Original game? When the spaceship lands, you have a new world to settle, with some aliens there to cope with.
          I always thought this was a great feature of ToT.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Definitely not
            I don't fancy aliens and all the "Oh... Ah!!...KILL'EM! KILL'EM ALL!" but rather prefer coherent and thoughtful content.
            Not that aliens and mutants to beat aren't fun, but each thing in its place and this would be for good ol' Wolfenstein 3D hehe

Comment

Well, I can't say I see a SMAC sequel from firaxis on the horizon. (I'm not even sure if its legally possible) I've considered the alternative possibility that the community could make one as a mod for Civ4 and have posted a couple of topics about it, although its all speculation as to whether it is actually possible without seeing Civ4. I suppose it would be possible to start a SMACmod game based on a Civ4 victory.

If you would be interested in such a project you would be welcome to contribute whatever time and skills you have. Any friends you have with python coding ability would be extremely welcome.

Comment

Well, I can't say I see a SMAC sequel from firaxis on the horizon. (I'm not even sure if its legally possible)

Why exactly do you believe that it is unprobable? And what is the legal picture, exactly? It would be sad that legal technicalities basically block innovation, creation and production...

PS: Sorry, I know nothing of python nor mods. I never even used a mod since I got my thoughts elsewhere in fact... later
                Last edited by Trifna; February 21, 2005, 08:22.

Comment

It would be legal, but very unlikely. All the people at Firaxis who were interested in SMAC have left to form BHG.
                  Seemingly Benign
                  Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I hav to agree with b_ramsdell's reasoning...as it stands now, whom ever lauches first and successfully reaches Alpha Centauri first automatically wins...actually, it's even more simplified - who ever launches first wins.....it is well, very anti-climatic to say the least... I too think it would be nice if there were goals one had to achieve after reaching AC in order to win the game.

If this is too SCIFI for players, Firaxis could always change the race for Alpha Centauri to a race (and colonization) of Mars. I think that would be really cool...and more believable.
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Civ2 was much more fun in the sense that if you sent your ship after someone else, you could still reach Alpha Centauri before, and win. That's the way I won my last non military game, reaching AC in 10.5 years versus 15.7 for the ai and sending it 5 years later. This was fun to rushbuy whatever I thought was needed in order to beat the Aztecs while researching fusion to get faster at the same time.
                      Civ 3 was more streamlined but cut too many things. Building tons of structurals wasn't fun, but if they had kept just the modules and components from civ1, with maybe one structural needed per component or module instead of the weird numbers required, it would have been more streamlined and funnier.
                      Clash of Civilization team member
                      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Two games in one from Firaxis? Forget it.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Actually, I have to concur with you Nikolai....but we can still hope.
                          "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                          "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Maybe a cheap game then...something that doesn't require a lot of development time.

You land on Alpha Centauri, there's no atmosphere, so you get put right into a Dig Dug game. If that doesn't appeal to players, maybe Centipede where humans are hunted by huge multi-legged insects. "Will your civ survive? Can you lead your civ through the subterranean maze?

Why not just fire up a game SMAC/ToT/etc after you ending cIV? Just a thought....
                            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Well, speaking personally here, SMAC is too easy now. Builders go supply crawlers --> tree farms --> pop boom --> energy park --> all secret projects --> win
                              Momentum players go probe teams --> crawlers --> ROVER RUSH! --> win or settle into builder mode.

A sequel with a bit of variation would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X