Giving the player things to do, and later taking them away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving the player things to do, and later taking them away

I'm not sure in which list it goes, so I'll just state my point.

Its based on a post by Velocrix (iirc) that was referred to in one of the recent threads.

Civ III had very little stuff to do besides warfare that were fun. And warfare was made unfun in latter parts of the game.

I realized that the whole point of the game, and the reason its fun, is that you constatly have stuff to do and choose. Civ III had less of that - it was somewhat too streamlined. It had too little "sub-missions":

The caravan was killed. Trade was now streamlined through the (sadly poor and unfun) diplomacy menu. No longer will you take on the great journeys of marko polo. Now its point and click... where's the fun? So people traded special resources - but that was much less fun. All you had to do is built a road - which is a good mission, but not quite the same as making a "journey".

The spy unit was killed. All spy missions moved to a screen that was difficult to access (click on the small star under the name near the shadow over the map..) and it cost a fortune. In my games, spies had very large roles both in regular warfare and in covert operations against my supposed allies. Wouldn't want them to reach a ground-breaking technology first, now would I?

Things like sending caravans or explorers (as well as technology, wonder and space races) give players interesting mini-goals to complete.

But the problem is, we want to reduce the tinkering in the latter parts of the game, where you'd eventually have tons of caravans and tons of spies, and tons of workers....

So why not change models in mid game?

Lets suppose you use caravans in the early ages, and once you go to industrial age (or discover railroad or what ever), caravans are made obsolete, and trade moves to a streamlined diplomacy option.

You start the game with spies, but after the discovery of say, communism, you build a small-wonder which replaces spies with a streamlined "spy center".

You start the game with workers as the only means to build improvements, and in the mid game - it changes to the CtP model (improvement workshop, which can build anywhere in your empire). And then you have a special unit "warfare engineer" which has the ability to build roads and rails and forts in enemy territory, and has X defense. This would give a great opportunity for tactical play, such as quickly building a road to the enemy capital and sending in your troops in a blitz.

This could also be used for other things such as fixed governments, versus a SMAC type social model.

I think this would both be fun, and give the player a feeling of "technology jumps" while advancing through the ages - and would solve alot of micromanagement by eliminating many chores mid game, but not having the early game "too-streamlined".

Back to the mini goals - I think that as someone suggested in another topic, Civ could gain from making some improvements or technologies be dependant of more things than just a tech tree and resources.

For instance, build X granaries to get some bonus / mini-wonder / technology / unit / age advancement. This would instantly create some new mini-goals.

I think that things like religion, culture and even some concept of immigration, wuold provide strong incentives towards building a medium sized empire with good strong cities, instead of a 1 size city sprawl with a barraks and a wall.

The game should work more on incentives than punishment (high corruption, and waste).

Make the silly and fun lists compiled (most advanced nation, most educated nation, best cities) mean something, by offering a reward to the leader of such a list.

This would give people stuff to aspire towards. Just like WLTKD and golden ages.

Reflecting back, this is a rather bad post (many ideas, little order, no good direct message).

So my ideas are:

1. Bring back more stuff to do (caravans, spies... whatever)
    2. Give us more goals (lists, pre-requesists other than tech and resources)
    3. Make pretty criteria mean stuff (best city, most advanced empire)
    4. Change models mid-game (will both reward you, and streamline and remove the threat of micromanagement).

ideas?

Lets suppose you use caravans in the early ages, and once you go to industrial age (or discover railroad or what ever), caravans are made obsolete, and trade moves to a streamlined diplomacy option.

I love that one. It actually reminds me of Colonization: at the beginning of the game, you had to move your small merchant fleet from one place to another, and it was fun. But at one point of the game (after completing a "Wonder", i.e. a founding father), you could build a city improvement that took care of transatlantic trade all by itself. As such, trade fleet was fun at the beginning, but didn't groy boring at the end
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Exactly why I didn't bother with that founding father, the guy who has a cigarette company named after him, whatsisname...
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Peter Stuyvesant
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Ciggarette company?

Hey, the second biggest bastard in the Congress, after Cortez.

The reason that is done thought is because once you declare independence you can't send your ships to Europe to trade, so trade with Europe would be dead once you declared independence, except directly with other European colonies. You still need caravans to trade with Indians.

So the reason for the change is more significant.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Peter Stuyvesant, that's it! Thanks.

Gepap, never seen or heard of Peter Stuyvesant cigarettes? :shrug:
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Giving the player things to do, and later taking them away

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
              So my ideas are:

I hated the caravans from the first 2 Civ games and I didn't care much about the spies either... I prefer the way it was in Civ3 (except that spy missions are too expensive compared to what you gain by using them)

Sounds great

Defently something I have missed in every Civ-game for now. It has always been a bit boring that all cities look-a-like

4. Change models mid-game (will both reward you, and streamline and remove the threat of micromanagement).
              As long as you don't bring in PW from ctp in any way. That killed the game... If I was given the choise of using the pw system or move all (500+) workers manually all the time, I'd defently choose workers, no doubt about it...
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

You may be on to something here, Siro. :b Micromanagment may be fun at the early stages, but it´s a ***** later on... But I still miss meaningful things to do in the late stages of the game. When you hit the modern age it´s just not fun anymore. It´s just a long boring wait for the end. The only way to spice things up a little is to whack your neighbor over the head with a few dozen modern armor or missiles. But since the weaker nations is often eliminated come this far, this to tends to come to a stalemate This is why I want the game to either go on for a bit longer with additional tasks and cool stuff or to end when it stops being fun, ie when the game hits modern age. In fact this should be an option. To choose "Long boring game" or "short funny game". I don´t know if this has been discussed earlier, I´ll have to check the appropriate threads.

//rambling mode disengaged
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

This is a really good idea.

Sea transportations could be replaced by "sealifts" or constructed ferry routes in the late game.

After certain discoveries, you would get free city improvements without having to build them - let's say you get a free Granary in all cities after discovering Refrigeration and so on...
                  The difference between industrial society and information society:
                  In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
                  In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimizer
                    After certain discoveries, you would get free city improvements without having to build them - let's say you get a free Granary in all cities after discovering Refrigeration and so on...
                    I like that
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I disagree. Moving little caravan units around was never fun, it's dreary monotonous chore. Spies were just a slight tad better.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I liked the caravans, actually.

I liked the idea of sending out an expedition with a couple caravans and an explorer to map the world an establish trade routes with previously unkown cities. It was fun, and it made the rewards from the trade routes seem more 'special' or rare.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I liked spies and caravans as well. The spies were too powerful, but discovering the map with cavarans and trying to find good trade routes was fun until it became a troubleshooting nightmare later in the game.

I agree that the game was too streamlined. IMO the level of immersion in the game is much weaker in Civ3 than it was in civ2. The only units left are settlers, workers and the military units. Good that they didn't removed them as well. I honestly won't buy Civ4 if they remove the workers as well.

Bring back the caravans! (for the early game)

"The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                          --George Bernard Shaw
                          A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                          --Woody Allen

Comment

In other words, make Civ4 the improvement to Civ2 that Civ3 should have been.
                            Attached Files
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

That is a good idea, but they didn't take those items out to make it easier on the player later game, they did it to constrain the decision tree for the ai throughout the whole game.

Comment

Working...
                              X