So Firaxis: Where's the January info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Firaxis: Where's the January info?

I thought you guys were gonna release more cIV info in January? Not many days left... Or was that game mag it?

As much as I am against game producers releasing game info (Go 3D Realms!), I've accepted the fact that you are not going to hold all your info back and so now I am anticipating what cIV will be like, especially this - what seems to be a - scaled 3D engine.
    be free

more info would be nice...
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Yeah, I was wondering where that info was too.

I actually first thought it would be released long ago, but it didn't.

Comment

January is still long enough... (OK, I understand you, I'm waiting too)

Comment

Re: So Firaxis: Where's the January info?

Originally posted by Sn00py
          .... I am anticipating what cIV will be like, especially this - what seems to be a - scaled 3D engine.
          Probably along the lines of what BHG did with RoN: 3D units, 2D buildings.
          "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
          I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
          --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Hopefully it will not resemble RON in any way...!

But we need more info, now! Pretty please, FIraxis?
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Yes, like the first fifth of the source code
              Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Re: Re: So Firaxis: Where's the January info?

Originally posted by dojoboy

Probably along the lines of what BHG did with RoN: 3D units, 2D buildings.

From the screenshots and from what we have been told, it won't be like RoN.

The biggest clue being that at the closest zoom, they said you can see all the buildings you have built in the city.

This leads me to believe there are a few levels of zoom.

Closest zoom: see all your buildings in the city, people walking around. Wild animals walking amongst the forest, etc. (For this to work, the buildings would have to be 3D).

Next zoom up: would be like that close-up screenshot we saw.

Next zoom: would be like the zoomed-out screenshot we saw.

Last zoom: I'm guessing that this would be something like a real map, like in the Total War series.

For me, I hope the game can be played at the closest zoom. I like seeing the land alive
                Last edited by FrostyBoy; January 19, 2005, 22:19.
                be free

Comment

What do you reckon armies and combat might look like in this kind of 3D system?

If you can zoom in on your cities and see buildings, what about zooming in on your armies? And at maximal zoom, what's going to happen when you engage in combat?

This could be very interesting.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: So Firaxis: Where's the January info?

Originally posted by Sn00py

From the screenshots and from what we have been told, I won't be like RoN.

The biggest clue being that at the closest zoom, they said you can see all the buildings you have built in the city.

This leads me to believe there are a few levels of zoom.

Closest zoom: see all your buildings in the city, people walking around. Wild animals walking amongst the forest, etc. (For this to work, the buildings would have to be 3D).

Next zoom up: would be like that close-up screenshot we saw.

Next zoom: would be like the zoomed-out screenshot we saw.

Last zoom: I'm guessing that this would be something like a real map, like in the Total War series.

For me, I hope the game can be played at the closest zoom. I like seeing the land alive
                    Can you give me the place where they said you can zoom up into the cities and see the buildings?
                    I never heard that before...
                    I know you can zoom into a local view, but I didn't know it was going to be that detailed...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Triggs
                      What do you reckon armies and combat might look like in this kind of 3D system?

If you can zoom in on your cities and see buildings, what about zooming in on your armies? And at maximal zoom, what's going to happen when you engage in combat?

This could be very interesting.

Hmm, yes I didn't think of that, maybe you can see all of the men in your army and the fights could be like that in RoN, but what happens when warriors engage? They would have to run into each other and fight on the same ground rather than fight from a distance. All of this would be great if so..

But I hate getting my hypes up with Firaxis, because it's usually a let down, I hate to say. I just can't see Firaxis as a major player in game making. I used to because of Sid Meier, but the games they have released have never been ground-breaking, at least compared to other certain games.
                      be free

Comment

CivR, some of the info is in the Just the Fact, ma'am thread at the top.

But for some reason it doesn't mention that you can see the buildings.

I'll have to hunt down for it elsewhere.

update: I found out it was a post made by someone who seems to have gotten inside info or something, so it may or may not be true. I'm not sure what site the post is at.
                        be free

Comment

has anyone noticed the simular 3d terrain between Sid's Pirates and the gaming magazine article picture

We will be lucky to have by summer
                          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

erm...
                            we're the last day of January and still nothing (to my knowledge). Maybe something blocked them...
                            Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

As I've posted elsewhere, I do think the info from the game magazines is all we'll get. And if you forget that we already knew a lot about Civ4 from Soren's presentation of last year's GDC (which I'm sure the PR department at Firaxis wasn't aware of), then those magazines did indeed contain a lot of new and interesting information.

With a little bit of luck, Firaxis and/or 2K Games will launch promotion websites sometime in February but I wouldn't expect too much of that anytime soon. The real juicy stuff will probably only come available during and/or in the run-up to E3 (which is held in May). That would be in line with past behaviour.
                              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X