Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Idea - Canals which are built by workers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Idea - Canals which are built by workers...

Make them 100 turns to build and no shorter than 10 turns per square no matter how many workers you have working the site. That way you can have ships move across continents to lakes etc or move from one body of water to another even when there is a two spaces wide spot of land in the way.

When a canal is built on a piece of land that land cannot be pillaged (unless hit by a nuclear device). However the locks can be damaged instead. This would mean the canal cannot be used until fixed by workers (another 100 turns to remove and fix the damaged locks).

Not exactly a new idea, but a good one nonetheless.

Comment

There's already a thread on canals
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

100 turns! That's one expensive worker improvement!
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

This is completely off topic but, since this thread will die anyway...
          I just noticed your sig UR (I don't get out of the Clash forums much ), what event on 7/7/1937 are you referring to exactly?

Comment

Japan invaded China starting the Sino-Japanese war. The incident that started the hostilities was referred to as "Marco Polo Bridge Incident"

Lugouqiao Incident
            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

That's what I thought, I just wanted a confirmation.

Comment

100 turns, but shortable to 10? OK, cutting a jungle costs, how much, 24 turns? If you accept the latter the first doesn't sound that bad, too.

Comment

Canals are always desirable.

100 turns seems a reasonable length of time, but I think the tech required should be fairly late in the tech tree. At least the Industrial era.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I do not believe that there can be a benefit comparable to the cost you are proposing and therefore it would be an unused gimmick. Any idea with a high cost must give a large benefit to be usable

Comment

The idea itself is a good one, and as you said it is expensive however it is worth it who play 'centuries' beyond when the game score is done. I love to play HUGE worlds with continents and get into huge wars at the hardest level where it takes 100 years to take just one city (and where more nucs are used in the game then exist in the real world :P). So when you have over 200 battleships alone, having the ability to build a PANAMA canal or SUEZ canal becomes a very very valuable tool when at war and having to move your forces between your strategic cities (which of course are far away from each other).

Comment

A number of games I'm in I have 30 workers often they end up sitting around on there arses after upgrading all the territory. Other games with larger empires I have 60-70+ workers. Combine them to build a canal and it would take just a handful of turns.

How is that too expensive for a device that would save your ships 6 or 7 turns travel the long way around.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

To keep canals from being too powerful, perhaps they should be limited to being built adjacent to water tiles. That way, an isthmus 2 tiles wide could be crossed by a canal, but one three tiles wide couldn't. This rule would allow fresh water lakes to be connected to oceans/seas or other fresh water lakes, as long as the lake is no more than 2 tiles away from the other body of water. The purpose of this would be to keep canals from crossing huge continents, which IMO would look ridiculous.
                          "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Heavy navy can't pass through normal canals.

Comment

Glad to see this idea is up and running aground in a second thread
                              Attached Files
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                              X