Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplayer Suggestions

Multiplayer System Suggestion:

The 8-player limit on Real-time games (games that are accomplished in one sitting) is practical for the needs of a fast game. However, there is a huge gap between what is possible in single-player (long games with 31 civs) and multiplayer. I suggest an improvement:

1. A multiplayer system where turn time can be set for 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours.

This would allow people playing a multiplayer game to still work on a game while working a regular job. They could log in, take their turn, and then come back in a few hours when their turn was up again for play.

2. All player turns and movement would happen simultaneously, in real time. When you logged on, you would use any available movement you have at that time on your units, adjust build and research queues, etc. Movement from unplayed turns would not accumulate (each turn's movement would only be one turn of movement).

If you happened to be online at the same time as an opponent, or were playing a very fast-turned game, you could chase him around the map. But in most cases, players would not do "real-time" combat on the map, since the game would be turn-based.

Battles would take place on a real-time tactical battlefield screen, with terrain that represents the tile where the conflict is taking place. All forces to be involved in the combat would be moved as a stack. Once combat was engaged, no new units could be brought in until the battle was resolved. If two players were online at the same time, both would be able to give last-minute commands in a Command phase of the battle. If you weren't online, units would follow preset commands that were either default or player-chosen at an earlier time. Then a timer would count down, and the battle would play out, with both sides controlled by the AI. When the battle was resolved, the screen would switch back to the map mode, and more movement/battles could be played.

If a player failed to log in during his turn, that would not be a problem. The game would just continue without him. Setting your empire up for self-defense and automated production while you're away would be important (such as using the build queue more actively). You should also be able to give orders to patrol or sentry and defend (attack someone invading your territory) to units, so that the empire would protect itself while you are away.

3. When creating a game, the creating player could select up to 31 civ spots available, and world size would be based on how many civ spots you made open. He would also set a minimum number of players and the starting time & date for the game. If the minimum hadn't been reached by that time the start date timed out, the game would disband. Players joining a game would be able to take their first turn before the game started (use up the movement on starting units). Players would be able to choose their civ on a first-come basis (last to join might get a less desireable civ).

4. Games would be hosted on pay-to-use servers (e.g., monthly paid accounts), so that no player would actually save the game file in use and be able to tamper with it.
    Camberus Sanctus
    Regis Creator
    Defensor Hominum

Re: Multiplayer Suggestions

Originally posted by Camber
    Battles would take place on a real-time tactical battlefield screen, with terrain that represents the tile where the conflict is taking place. All forces to be involved in the combat would be moved as a stack. Once combat was engaged, no new units could be brought in until the battle was resolved. If two players were online at the same time, both would be able to give last-minute commands in a Command phase of the battle. If you weren't online, units would follow preset commands that were either default or player-chosen at an earlier time. Then a timer would count down, and the battle would play out, with both sides controlled by the AI. When the battle was resolved, the screen would switch back to the map mode, and more movement/battles could be played.
    Cut this out, and it doesn't look bad at all. Though I would argue that since CTP2 allowed 32 civs, but didn't officially support them, and Civ3 allowed 32 civs but didn't officially support them, that it is time to move up to officially supporting 32 civs (in all gameplay modes) and have up to 64 civs allowed - at the very least!

Comment

Agreed. I should add that I have seen the multiplayer system outlined above work very well in a game called Starknights. It is an RTS/TBS hybrid, with RPG elements. For guild games the preferred turn setting is 3-hour turns. Until I started doing PBEM games, SK was the only one I have ever played where I could do multiplayer games while going to school and holding down a job. Doing it in realtime, with 30 other people in the game, and not having to set aside 3-6 hours for a game, was really nice.
      Camberus Sanctus
      Regis Creator
      Defensor Hominum

Comment

64 civs allowed, and Multiplayer - that'd be a great LAN party...

Comment

Before going in details discussing everything else, this simultaneity would need to be put onto the rails or it does not lead anywhere.

Many issues were brought about simultaneity, even if I cannot personally point them out of my mind.
          Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

"Put on the rails" <- I'm not familiar with that term. If you mean examined closely, I would be happy to give my understanding of simultaneity.

To me, simultaneous turns requires a turn timer. A turn lasts a set amount of time, whether it be 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 2 hours, or 2 days. Those creating the game should be able to decide how long a turn will last, depending on what kind of a game they want. Personally, I like either very fast or very slow turns, so I can either get the game over with in one sitting, or do it in many sittings over the course of weeks or months.

Given that the turn lasts a set amount of time, all players in the game would be able to make their movements during that turn. I've played games where everyone is trying to take their movement as quickly as possible, and everyone is doing something at the same time. I have also been in waiting games, where players are waiting to see who will make the first move. Once something happens, then a lot starts happening very fast. And then you wait again, for the turn clock to wind down, so that you can get more movement to use up.

One setting that is very useful in these kind of multiplayer games is a No Kill setting, meaning that capitals cannot be attacked until a certain turn. Any units outside the capital's boundaries may be attacked. In the game where I've seen this implemented, there was a hard-coded No Kill (NK) setting of turn 200 for awhile. Some players wanted longer games, with a NK date of turn 500 or 1000. These were fun too, but only were as good as the word of the people involved. Then the game developers made the NK setting a variable in the game creation menu, and things became really fun. We had NK T0 games where the capital attacks could begin on turn 0, and NK T1000 games, and everything in between. You were physically barred from even stepping foot into your enemies' capitals' boundaries, so there was no more need for an honor system, the game took care of that aspect of rules enforcement.

One thing that was very good about this development, that relates to the issue of simulteneity, is that the NK date became a time when you *knew* everyone would be online at the same time. Until then, you might catch 2-5 people in the game playing at the same time together. But everyone put on their calendar the NK date, and everyone was in the game on that date, on the hour, to see what would go down when the holds were lifted on capital attacks. I remember many games where the turn timer and NK put this event at 2 or 3 in the morning. But of course I always made sure I was there, especially if it had been a long game. Because actually seeing what was happening, and chatting with everyone while it was happening, was better than getting the action reports after the events.

The in-game popups were set up so that you would get announcements as things happened in real time. So if PlayerX's king unit was caught outside of his capital, and got killed by PlayerB, and you were online when it happened, then you would get a popup telling you about it (rather than when the next turn rolled around). You would also get a list of all the popups that had occurred since your last login, when you came back into the game.
            Camberus Sanctus
            Regis Creator
            Defensor Hominum

Comment

Working...
            X