Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Civilization IV be Starforce protected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I want invisible software installed on my computer without my knowledge, except for a next-to-invisble blurb printed in an obscure location on the packaging

[/sarcasm mode off]
    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Hell no!

Ask Brad Wardell on how to properly deal with "piracy" - he has the right idea.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger Ask Brad Wardell on how to properly deal with "piracy" - he has the right idea.
        Can you enlighten the rest of us?

Comment

CD Copy protection is not the way to stop piracy
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Thanks UR. That's the first I've ever seen of that particular article, but I have to say that he is dead on. The one thing he didn't mention that would help stop piracy, IMO, is to have a demo available early. I don't think there has ever been a demo version of civ. If they released a demo a month or so before actual release of the game, or even the day the game is released, people would be able to try before they buy, without having to resort to pirating the game just to see if they like it. And as Brad Wardell said, it's all about convenience, once you've pirated the game just to see if you like it, why go out and buy it?

Granted, there are some who would buy the game with or without the demo, but the demo is for those who have never played the game before, where as these people are most likely veterans.

Comment

Originally posted by alms66
              I don't think there has ever been a demo version of civ.
              There are playable demos of Civ3, that you can download. The thing is, they bacame available after the game was released. Probably in fear of piracy again, as they have only a time limit, and no other restrictions.
              Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
                There are playable demos of Civ3, that you can download. The thing is, they bacame available after the game was released. Probably in fear of piracy again, as they have only a time limit, and no other restrictions.
                I think the only demo-like software available for civ is those few try-before-you-buy web services out there, where you download the game. If you go to civ3.com, there is no demo.

Comment

It was a demo for ToT and I think I've seen a demo of Civ2:MGE somewhere.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                    What's starforce?
                    A nasty piece of malware posing as a copy protection scheme.
                    - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                    - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                    - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                      I've never seen such unanimous vote results on apolyton before.
                      There's one vote for yes now. Very likely just to be a smartass.
                      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by alms66
                        I think the only demo-like software available for civ is those few try-before-you-buy web services out there, where you download the game. If you go to civ3.com, there is no demo.
                        This is exactly, what I was referring to. They basically give you a demo, don't they?
                        Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Locutus nailed it.

And Ranger, thanks for the lead on a very insightful article.
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

The big difference with GalCiv though was that Stardock were always going to be spending the next 12 months patching, tweaking and upgrading the basic game - they planned it budgetted for it and used it as a selling point. Ergo their 'copy protection' scheme tailored serial #'s to specific users who'd be wanting to download the newest upgrade on a semi-regular basis.
                            Such a scheme mightn't be as workable for the standard run-of-the-mill piece of software off the production line.
                            Paradox might be an exception.

Starforce though ...

That's more of an incentive to ignore and avoid anything using it entirely - unless of course it is a pirated version with the Starforce crap taken out of it.

[Edit: Nuts. Should've read the article before posting ...]

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              CD Copy protection is not the way to stop piracy
                              Finally one who makes software that understands that such protection does no good to anyone
                              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X